Chapter 7: The Training (Bridget's Journal)

This was just mortifying me. Margarrett was showing me some exercises to help my lymph's  going, so I could run faster when I'm killing the vampires. Margarrett calls it is 'slaying' but it sounds to me more like assassinated, so I don't call it that, I call it destroying. Plus, I really don't want to be called a vampire slayer, and I like Cole's definition of it better too.

        He calls it 'defeating'.  Anyways, Margarrett attempts to show me exercises to do at home, and she said that we wouldn't mess with the weapons until next week. She also told me to to get ideas, because I have stakes in the front of my yard. And she finally admitted he was the one who put them there. I mean, who does that? I get really infuriated with her. She told me to get over it, and then I realize how I'm ever going to put up with her.

       Now the upcoming weeks await. I'm so tired, sweaty, irritated, mad, sad, and enraged because I have to go into vampire killing training. I don't think my graduating class would consider that kind of offer, being taught by a crazy lady with stakes. I used to live in New Orleans, now I moved to Jena, because I wanted to get away from home, and I need to go to college. There's nothing out here but swamps, canopy off of the trees, a few restaurants, one church, ( it's Pentecostal) and a few worn down vacant buildings. All the way downtown is Straivart's Jailhouse. All about 500 residents live alone in swampy areas around Jena, and there's no neighborhoods anywhere.

           So, yeah, I guess you can see why I was so irritated by this? I could've been a girl who lives a fantasy life, never having any issues or problems. Why me? I've always suffered since I was a little girl. Poor, innocent, and always neglected by everybody. I just don't understand, why do I have to be a destroyer? My mom never really cared about what my life would be like in the future, and I never saw my father, as he was always at work. So, basically I struggled fending for myself most of the time, and being very independent as possible. I used to live in a dump trailer till I was about 5 years old, and then my dad got a job upgrade, and we got a small apartment, $150 a month. When I was 15 years old, my parents got a divorce. My mother couldn't take it anymore, how he would come home with alcohol on his breath, and never be home much, and if he did, would come home late working at the new resale shop he now worked at at the time.

        My mother and I moved to different places around New Orleans, and that's when we stumbled upon a place in a New Orleans neighborhood. It was bad. There were street gangsters with their pants down low to the ground, and their shirt's saying,''SWAG''. It wasn't the nicest place we'd ever lived at, but it helped me get my diploma. When I finished high school at New Orleans Tech., I raised enough money to buy  house on my own in Jena. And, that's how I ended up here. Margarrett was telling me,''Hip to the left! Hip to the right!'' And all these other exercises to reinforce me up to ( as Cole says it) defeating the vampires.

                                                    ***********************************************

        After one week of training exercises, Margarrett comes to get out the stakes that she ordered/put in my front yard. Then, she had said a spell that I didn't quite penetrate. That's when all the stakes came bursting out of the ground like an avalanche fixing to erupt. The only thought in my head at that moment was, "Holy crap, how can this get even weirder.''