Chapter 3 : The First Day (In Bridget's journal)

In Jena, Louisiana, (that's where I live) there's Straivart's Jailhouse, and now, I can finally admit that I have a job there! I am so excited to be a citizen of an actual job! (I am sorry if I'm being a little too passionate, I'm just so glad to have a job!) But, there's one thing I hate about it, and you guessed it, Kileigh. She's so weird all the time, and reminds me of Effie from the Hunger Games. Don't even get me started on her voice. I can't STAND her! She has the sweet like honey attitude, but underneath it all is the devil. It's sick!

         And, you probably know what I LOVE about my job, and obviously it's Jake. There was even one day at work that he bought me lunch at the Burger Barn. But that's a different story. Let's talk about my first day at Straivart's Jailhouse.

           I arrived there and looked at my amulet, and it was turning bright red, just bright red, nothing else. I realized later on, that it only does that whenever I'm around Kileigh. I also have to say something about the prisoners. Whenever I gave them food, they never ate it, (except for Cole that is) he eats like a pig and loves company. What's weird is, he told me that I looked like Bridget Mendler from Good Luck Charlie on Disney Channel, and I told him to shut up. And, just to get back at him, I said he looked like Viktor Crum from Harry Potter. He then laughed and got mad at me.

            He's the only one who really ever talks to me at the jailhouse, besides Jake, and occasionally Kileigh. There's also guards, but they never speak to me either. And the other prisoners, Natalie, Diego, and Hope, along with a few others I don't know the names of, don't even say a word to me.                                                                                                        

             Cole is very sweet. On my very first morning here at Straivart's, I heard him whistling off to a Christina Aguilara song. I thought it was very cute. And, if Jake doesn't ask me out soon or later, I'm going to persuade Cole to date me. Now, I know what you are thinking. That your not supposed to go out with complete strangers, or prisoners in fact, but Cole's really different. And I wonder how he ended up in jail. It doesn't make any sense.                 

              So, I went up to go ask  Kileigh, and this was our conversation: ''What did Cole do wrong that made him end up in here?'' I questioned.                                                                                                                                                                                      

                        Her reply was shocking, (which was also her expression toward my inquiry) ''He has different mood swings, Bridget, and he can't control himself when he... does things.''                                                                                                 

               ''But my main question is, what crime did he do!? I wanna know right now, Kileigh!''                                                         

                          ''Okay, okay, Bridget, sweety, calm down. No need to get ourselves worked up about some prisoner.'' She says this as she flips through her files and finds the name: Cole Alexander. ''Um, miss Bridget, it says here in my book that he got into many fights in school... and he really hurt somebody when he was in college. And... the, uh, parents of the kid who got beat up, pressed charges against Mr. Cole, and...''                                                                          

                  ''And what Kileigh!?''                                                                                                                                                                    

                     ''Oh, yeah... um what were we talking about sweetheart?'' She says as she stares off into space.                            

                       ''Cole Alexander! Kileigh!''                                                                                                                                                 

                                        I seem to break her out of her trance as she says,''That's right, it said nothing after that. All it said was, the parents of the kid, Cole Alexander beat up, they pressed charges against him, and I'm sorry honey, but they caught off the rest of the sentence, and all it reads now is 'and', I'm very sorry miss Bridget, but there's nothing I can do.''

                    She pouts, (yeah right, like she really meant it!) I bet she was laughing in her, I'll - be sweet- so -people- will- like- me- head, and probably didn't even care about Cole! But I did. Kileigh shooed me out of her office and I went just to make her happy. Then, I visited Cole. When I walked into the room, he was fast asleep. I guess from all that talking to me, you get sleepy. That's how it was when I was little. My mom would practically beg me to stop talking and just to go to bed. Plus, I didn't have anything else to do, so I obeyed her orders.                                                       

                     But that was a long time ago, so, back to the story: I would hate to wake him, but I have to find out what really happened to him. You're probably thinking that I'm crazy for chit chatting with the prisoners but he's the only one who's nice to me. And I don't want to ruin that, so, I bang on the bars to his prison gate, and automatically sits up and stares at me casually while he turns his head from side to side, like a dog saying''Why did you wake me?'' He did the silent stare at me for a few seconds and then asked me,''Bridget, what do you want?''                                                                 

                   ''I... I... wanted to hear how you got into jail, if it's okay...'' I said silently.                                                                       

                     ''Bridget, of course it's okay, but there really was no need for you to wake me up, it's almost midnight.'' He assures me as he gazes at the moon through the glass window.                                                                                              

                     ''Oh, okay, well, I guess I'll just-''                                                                                                                                                      

                             ''No, you can stay. I know that you will always be right on my side. I know you think I barely  know you, but I do.'' As he talks, he reaches his hands from the bars and onto my tall cheekbones, and tells me,''You are the chosen one.''