Chapter 29

We continue walking and soon the sidewalk disappears beneath our feet. Slowly but surely we make our way into an abandoned field. The grass is too high, there are bugs, and we get absolutely no cell service, but we love it here.

This is where we would play games every Saturday, where we would eat picnics, and where we would go to escape all our problems. It was out secret world. We let some people come with us, but it was always Louis's and mine. Our hiding place from reality.

This is where we came to forget. Here there were no divorces, no failing classes, no bullies or break ups. Our sacred field was like stepping into a new world. There was only one rule, to enter you had to forget all your troubles. You couldn't enter sad because we figured that would ruin the magic.

I see that Louis is still spinning around taking in our beautiful field. Smiling to myself I slip my feet out of my shoes. I see that Louis is still preoccupied so I stick my finger in my mouth then in his ear. I don't wait for the reaction. I run.

"Brooke! Did you just give me a wet willie?!" Louis yells to me.

I cackle in response.

Soon I hear the pounding of his bare feet behind me so I pick up the pace. I feel my plaid shirt that I left open over a tank top fan out behind me and slip off one shoulder. The wind is rustling my hair and the sun feels so nice on my face.

I appreciate the fact that I'm wearing jean shorts for one of the last times this year as I feel the familiar feeling of the denim rubbing against my legs as I run.

Maybe it's the fresh air or the feeling of the tall grass hitting against my bare feet and ankles or the sound of Louis's laughs echoing behind me but in this moment I wished that life could always be like this. So simple but beautiful.

I let a "woohoo" escape my lips as I jump over a log then drop to the ground and roll under the wire fence, into the trees. I get back to my feet and continue running, enjoying the sound and feel of my pounding feet along with my quick breathing. I haven't felt so carefree in a while.

I take in my surroundings as I continue my running. The way the sunlight reaches through the leaves and branches leaving patterns on my arms and legs. I hear the hum of the bugs and the chirps of the birds along with the rustle of the leaves in my ears. The sweet scent of the flowers and the fresh air mixes with the smell of pine. My favorite aroma would have to be of our secret world.

The tress become denser and soon I'm dodging them as I run, but this only means I'm closer to my destination.

Soon there are no longer dead leaves and wet soil under my feet. I feel dry dirt almost like sand between my toes. I look up and see the center of our special world.

The creek was so clear, unpolluted because it was long ago forgotten, only to be found by two six year olds. The vegetation and blue sky reflect on the still water. There is a bridge that goes across the creek. We painted it dark red one summer, but I ran passed that to the Tree.

The Tree grows sideways over the creek. I take a few steps on the trunk before going down on my hands and knees. I shimmed across the branches until I reach the end. I sit down and my feet reach into the creek. I watch as the ripples from my toes spread across the whole creek. The once placid water becomes disturbed in the most beautiful way, with ripples running through it.

The sound of a stick snapping fills my ears. I turn to see that Louis is now on the "beach" of the creek. He climbs up Tree and soon sits beside me also sticking his feet in the clean cool water of the creek.

I just take a moment to take all of this in, this place is truly beautiful.

"Do you remember when we first found this place?" Louis asks me as he does the same as me and swirls his feet around in the crystal blue water.