The Paths We Take {3}

"Kaz, are you feeling alright?" mom asked.

I nodded, yawning and taking a bite of my breakfast. "Yea, mom. Just stayed up reading last night."

She sighed and shook her head. "You need to stop doing that." She smiled fondly at me and combed her fingers through my hair. "Your hair is getting long again. You should cut it soon."

"I was planning on it," I said.

She kissed my head. "I'm going to head to work. David said he doesn't think he's getting out of work early, but if he does he'll text you and let you know."

"It's fine, mom. I don't mind taking the bus," I assured.

"Alright, well, have a good day Kaz. And please behave at school. I love you." She gathered her stuff and waved to me before leaving the house.

I rubbed my eyes and checked the time. I finished my breakfast and pulled my shoes on, grabbing my bag and heading outside.

The bus pulled up to my house and I climbed on, putting in my earphones as I curled up in a lone seat against the window. I forced my eyes to stay open as the bus made its way towards the school. God, I was so tired. I was not meant for the night life.

When the bus arrived at the school, I got off of it, heading inside and searching around for any sign of Lily. I had to come up with a lie about what we'd done last night. Or just avoid the topic altogether, since Lily was good at detecting my lies.

"Casimir!"

I stopped and slowly turned to face Lily. Oh, sweet god, she'd used my full name. She was pissed.

She stomped up to me, arms crossed tight over her chest. "I heard the man who owns that restaurant on the boulevard had a vandalism incident in his yard yesterday. But I'm sure you wouldn't know anything about that."

"I was a passive observer," I said.

"He said his house key was missing," she said, drumming her fingers against her arm.

"Okay, when Aaron Kizziar tells you to take something, you take it," I said. "I'd already pissed him off once that night. I wasn't risking my throat."

"I told you he's bad for you!" she snapped. "He's a demon, Kaz. Think with your brain, not your dick."

"He's not a demon," I said, wishing I could explain it to Lily. "He's..."

"He's what? A misunderstood boy? Kaz, he's awful. He's a vile creature that crawled out of the darkest pits of hell. He's sadistic and fucked up in the head. Something is seriously wrong with that boy, and you're an idiot if you think he has even a whisper of kindness in the black hole that swallowed his heart," she said.

"He's a human, Lily," I said.

"And look how disgusting human beings have always been," she said. "He's lucky if he makes it through high school without getting arrested."

"You're not wrong. But, still," I said. "Just trust me on this, okay?"

"You are in so far over your damn head," she said.

"Again: You're not wrong," I agreed. "Let me handle myself this time, Lily."

"You can break your own fall," she said, placing her hands on her hips.