The Paths We Take {8}

The guard dragged Aaron into the principal's office and slowly released him in the corner of the room. He placed his hand on the Taser, leveling Aaron with a stern look.

                "I don't want to use it on you, Kizziar. Don't make me," he said.

                Aaron was cornered, a wild animal on a rampage. "Try it. I promise I'm faster."

                "Kizziar, sit down," the principal said, looking exhausted.

                "Aaron," Aaron said, his eyes snapping to the principal. "My name is Aaron, Humphrey."

                Principal Humphrey just waved at the chairs in front of his desk. "The secretary already called your father. He's on his way. Take a seat and let's make this quick." He noticed me and raised an eyebrow. "Warrick, right? David Mumford's stepson?"

                "That's me," I said, trying to look casual despite my nerves. I'd been sent to the principal's office before, but the secretary always sent me away when she looked at the report I was sent down with. I stole something, I gave it back, no harm done. Principal Humphrey had real problems to handle, like the messes Aaron Kizziar caused.

                "Take a seat," he repeated.

                I did as I was told, hoping I could get through this without a detention. I really hated detentions.

                The guard was still cornering Aaron, probably hoping Aaron would calm down. I twisted in my chair a little.

                "Give him a little space, sir," I said.

                Aaron flashed me a grin. "Watch your words, Kaz. He backs off and I go for your fucking throat."

                "We can do this the easy way or the hard way," the guard warned.

                "What's life without a challenge?" Aaron said.

                We waited in tense silence until the secretary opened the door and led Brett in. He looked at his son, his expression as exhausted as the principal's.

                "Aaron, calm down," he said. He looked to Principal Humphrey. "Mr. Humphrey, what happened this time?"

                The guard slowly back off Aaron, following Aaron over to the chair. Aaron and Brett both sat, Aaron looked full of energy.

                "He bumped into me," Aaron said, shaking his head. "Couldn't have that, could we?"

                "Jesus, Aaron," Brett groaned. "Where was Bruce when all this was happening?"

                "I'm not his keeper and he's not mine," Aaron said, shooting his father a cool look.

                "So you tried to choke a boy out just for bumping into you?" Principal Humphrey looked like he was seriously considering another career. One that didn't involve teenagers.

                Aaron rubbed the dried blood off his chin. "He hit me first. I just taught him why that was a mistake."

                Principal Humphrey clicked something on his laptop. "The other guard emailed me from the nurse's office with the other boy's side of things. Zach said he accidentally bumped into you and he slammed him against the wall and threatened to choke him if he ever did that again."