The Paths We Take {5}

Lily and I sat on the curb, waiting for David to pick us up. He'd offered to get us from school and drop us off at our favorite coffee shop.

"Kaz, I already know you're going to be stubborn about this, but I have to try," Lily said, glancing at me. "For the love of god, do not go out with Aaron tonight."

I rested my arms over my knees, leaning forward. "Lily, I know what I'm doing. Look, I know you don't like him, and I know you think I'm crazy. But-"

"No, I think he's crazy," she interrupted.

"But I think having a friend could stabilize him," I continued, ignoring her. "If you spend your whole life being told you're a monster, you start to believe it."

"I have no pity for him," Lily said fiercely. "Not a goddamn drop of sympathy. He's horrible. He hurts people. Bruce can be a decent human being when he wants to, so don't you dare tell me that Aaron just had a rough time growing up."

"Bruce isn't Aaron. They had the same parents, but that doesn't mean they had the same upbringing," I said.

"Today's weather: Salty with a 100% chance of me not giving a shit about Aaron Kizziar," Lily said.

"Is there a chance of you giving a shit about Kaz Warrick?" I asked.

She thought for a moment. "A 30% chance of me giving a shit about Kaz Warrick. Expected to go up if Kaz Warrick makes intelligent decisions tonight."

"I'm not exactly known for intelligent decisions," I said, laughing.

"Which is dumb, because you're an intelligent person," she grumbled. "Honestly, someday you better put that brain of yours to work, Casimir. Compassion isn't a bad thing, but you have way too much of it. You're always willing to sacrifice yourself for other people. Boy, you better love yourself more or I'll be pretty pissed."

"I love myself plenty," I said.

"Oh, yea, your hair and devotion to Aaron proves it," she said.

"Okay, I'll give you the hair. I swear I'll cut it by the end of the month," I said.

My phone buzzed and I pulled it out of my pocket. I unlocked it and held it at an angle so that Lily couldn't read my messages.

From: Aaron

Tonight.

I locked my phone and shoved it back in my pocket. I knew I'd go out with him and the others tonight.

It was worth the risk if I could break through to Aaron. He had a horribly violent and unhealthy way of showing his emotions, but he was frustrated. He was struggling, and he inflicted it onto others. He was selfish. If he had to suffer, so did the people around him.

No, maybe selfish wasn't the right word. Jealous. He was jealous.

"There's David," Lily said, standing up.

I got up as well as David pulled up to us. The two of us got in the car and he took off towards the coffee shop.

"How was school?" he asked.

"Math was great. My calculator mysteriously went missing in the middle of class," Lily said.

"Oops," I said, unzipping my bag and taking it out. I tossed it back to her. "I knew I was forgetting something."