The Paths We Take {9}

"Ease up a bit when you take your turns," David said.

                I slowed the car, hitting the blinker and making a smooth turn to the right. I carefully backed the car into a parking spot and looked at David.

                He was peeking out of the window. "Still crooked, but getting better. You don't have to back into parking spots all the time, Kaz."

                "I know, but it makes it easier to get out of them," I said with a sigh.

                "Here, switch with me and I'll drive us home," he said, getting out of the car.

                I pulled myself across the front into the passenger seat. David climbed into the driver's side and fixed the seat and mirrors before leaving the parking spot.

                He occasionally took me to the park to practice my driving. My parents said I could get my permit the day I turned 16, but it was up to me when I'd feel comfortable getting my license. David had volunteered to give me driving lessons so I'd feel more confident when I did start driving on the roads.

                "Does Lily practice driving?" David asked.

                I rolled the window down a bit to let some fresh air in. "Yea. Her dad was excited to start teaching her. He loves cars."

                David slowed the car, stopping it at the side of the road that led out of the park. I glanced at him curiously, seeing the guilt on his face.

                "I'm sorry, Kaz," he said. "I wish your dad could've taught you."

                It was rare I got choked up over the death of my father. He'd been dead for ten years now, and David had been a part of my life for nine of those years. In fact, I'd known David longer and better than I'd known my biological father.

                But sometimes it crept up on me, the unshakable reality that my dad was permanently gone. I could hardly remember him, couldn't even remember if he'd loved cars like Lily's dad or if he hooked an arm out the window like David did.

                "My dad is teaching me," I said, my voice calm despite that tidal wave of sorrow slamming against my heart.

                David gave a weak smile and reached out, ruffling my hair. We had no illusions. He wasn't my biological father; he had no blood related children of his own. He could never replace the father I had lost.

                But he was still my dad in all the ways that counted. I was his son.

                "Let's get some milkshakes," he said, pulling away from the side of the road again.

                "Mom will get mad that we're having them before dinner," I said.

                "I won't tell her if you don't," he said.

                I grinned. "Deal."

                The two of us laughed a little. David took us to an  ice cream place and bought us milkshakes. We sat at a table outside together, comfortable silence blanketing over us as we watched people pass by.

                "Hey, Kaz," David said a few minutes later.

                "Hm?" I looked over at him.