rainstorms.

It was a gloomy day in Manhattan. As I turned on the news, I saw the reason behind the dark, stormy clouds that covered the fall sun. Of course it was the sign of a huge storm. If it rained just hard enough, Riley Matthews would come to my apartment door, begging for protection and reassurance, and like always I would be happy to give it to her.
As for myself, it was my favorite kind of weather, the kind you couldn't help but read in, maybe play boardgames with family, sit in front of the fireplace with a mug full of hot chocolate and marshmallows. I've never gotten the fear of thunderstorms, how could anybody possibly complain about the relaxing sound of water pattering against their window? The thunder can be overwhelming at times, but for the most part, they're not only soothing, but they save us from having droughts- it's a win win.
Just as I took residence in my leather brown recliner, a knock sounded from the door. By then, the rain had began to pour. Lightning illuminated the dark sky every five seconds, pushing its way through my window and creating a shadow on my floor.
"Who is it?" I called out, muting the TV. Barely audible, I heard a familiar voice on the other end. "Riley!" Of course it was. I smiled and welcomed her into the apartment. Her white sweater clung tightly to her wet body, exposing her light green bra; and her hair was in  thin brown strings.
"Farkle." She greeted, slightly shivering. I nodded in response, closing the door behind her with a soft thud.

"Storm too loud?"

"As always."

"Change of clothes?"

"As always."

Riley followed after me as I upped the steps, entering my master bedroom. As per usual, she invaded my girlfriend's dresser, pulling out a similar sweater to hers, along with black stockings. Smackle didn't mind when she came over, due to the fact that we'd been best friends for almost ten plus years.

"Ooh." Riley muttered from my closet, most likely admiring something new I've bought. Minkus international pays well, meaning that I have a lot of items -and money- that I don't really need. It was quite shocking to some people that I lived in my comfy apartment, rather than a huge mansion such as my father. I'd moved out as soon as I finished high school, not wanting to continue and flaunt my possessions. My thoughts are then interrupted by Riley slowly sliding the closet door open, stepping out with her wet hair in a tight knot at the top of her head. She smiled warmly and made her way over to me. Her wet clothes were piled into her petite arms.

"I'll take those."

"Thank you, Farkley." She grinned, kissing my forehead. I'd be lying if I said my crush on Riley ever went away, but we've always had this type of relationship, and we knew where we stood in each other's life. I'd always be a friend in her eyes, and as time went on, hiding my feelings for her became easier and almost nonexistent. But I didn't want them to be nonexistent. There are some things in life that just don't need to be changed, and that's one of them. I'll always love Riley, whether it's platonic or romantic, I'd take her any way I could have her.

"Hot cocoa?" I asked, a smile playing on my lips. She nodded instantly, and I got a warm, fuzzy feeling inside. My hot chocolate always made her happy, especially on days like this, and in a season such as fall.

Riley sat down on the couch in search for a movie, while I wandered into the oversized kitchen, pulling two cups from the cabinet.

"Wanna watch home alone!" Her voice floated into the room as I began to heat the stove.

"Sure, put anything on babe."

"We're watching elf!" She then said, in which I chuckled to myself. It was just like her to change her mind so quickly.

"Hot chocolate is ready." I was careful not to spill the drinks as I inched towards her, setting the coaster on her lap.

"Why, thank you Minkus." Riley smiled, taking the mug into both hands. The movie began to play loudly, And I smiled. It was the only time I had an excuse to sit that close to her, or even allow her to lay her head on my shoulder. She pulled the blanket up to her chest, lifting her head to meet my smiling eyes.
"I love rainy days." She muttered.

"I thought you hated them?"

"No," Riley laughed, sitting up. "I love them, because I get to spend them with you."