Chapter 5- Family secrets

CHAPTER 5

                                              Family Secrets

At first I was only going to be going to the museum to find out what life was like back in Gabriel's time; but now this new curiosity gripped me about what was so important that my family didn't want me to find out.

I woke with my usual thud on the mattress from falling from my resting place up near the ceiling. I know levitation sounds like a cool ability; but I'd gone through so many beds that it wasn’t funny anymore and my parents usually scolded me about jumping on the bed even at my age.

Today I was feeling great, and I felt like looking great as well; so I dug a nice emerald green skirt and white blouse out of the closet and tied a matching green scarf in my hair. I hobbled down to the breakfast table where my mother had already fixed a plate of bacon and eggs for me. My mother came out of the kitchen and sat at the chair beside me. Her eyes were all swollen and red from dried up tears; chances are from their discussion last night.

 "Mom, are you alright?" I asked concerned that the fight might have gone over until morning.

"I'm fine dear." She said with a smile. "Now put your foot up and let me check your stitches." she patted her lap where I placed my injured foot. She changed the dressing and examined it over.

"It looks good; you might be able to have them out sooner than we thought. I'll make an appointment for you with Dr. Cameron for Friday morning."

She said putting my foot gently back on the floor. I smiled broadly. "Great! I can't wait to be rid of these crutches!"

The smile melted from her face as she slid a little closer to me. “Listen Izzy honey; I want you to keep an open mind when you go to the museum. People can be very cruel when they don't understand something, so no matter what you read up there just don't take it too seriously alright?"

"What do you mean?" I said confused by her words.

"Oh nothing, you better hurry up or you’re going to miss the bus." She said rapidly changing the subject.

"Oh right," I said shovelling down the remainder of my piping hot breakfast into my mouth and jumping up from the table.

"Have a good day, and don't forget your lunch!" My mother shouted behind me as I made a mad dash for the door to collect my books and hop to the bus stop, of course forgetting the lunch in the icebox.

The School day was uneventful. There were a few assignments we had to do for English and history where we had to write a paper about our family tree.  As for the social aspect I only received 3 threatening letters and one kick me sign, which was a lot less than what I normally got so it classified as a fairly good day for me.

After school I hobbled out to the city bus stop in front of the school where Genia was already waiting for me.

“Alright, fill me in. What did you two do after the movies and last night? What happened to your foot?” She fired at me as soon as I got to the stop.

“Well, he walked me home most of the way, but I got a piece of a glass bottle stuck in my heel and he ran. I guess he was squeamish.” I lied knowing the real reason for his actions now.

“But you met him again last night?” She asked.

 I nodded.

“We met up for coffee, he apologised for Saturday night and then we went for a walk in the park. That’s really all that happened.” I shrugged innocently.