Chapter 7- Pool Party

CHAPTER 7

                  Pool party

The remainder of my week went by quickly and in a daze; Genia was constantly chattering on about her upcoming pool party and her many dates with Chris, and all the while I thought of Gabriel. Curiosity ate away at me; how was it possible that he was going to be able to be in the sunlight? I seriously couldn’t figure it out!

The much anticipated Friday rolled around and I went to my appointment with Dr. Cameron; the portion of the day I was not looking forward to. I finally had my stitches removed and was finally freed from my crutches once and for all. The doc said that he was really surprised at how fast they had healed and that really I should have been off my foot another week at least. Thankfully he didn’t question my rapid healing and let me go with a word of warning against putting my full weight on it and getting it wet. I explained about the pool party and he suggested taping a plastic trash bag around my foot to avoid any bacteria getting in.

Mother and I left, and I was glad it was over with; and because I had missed my entire morning with my appointment I was permitted to take the rest of the day off.

What a beautiful day it was too. It may as well been another day in August with its sunny cloudless skies and warm breeze. I thought I would make the most of it by going to the park early and catching up on some reading. So changed into my bathing suit and a black caftan for cover, I gathered my things together including a picnic lunch and made my way to the park.

Heritage Park on Oak St. was a big, long stretch of land that was sprinkled with dozens of towering oak trees and stretches of walking paths. In the center of it all were a small playground and a large overgrown garden surrounded by tangles of poorly maintained rose bushes. I tried to park the baby blue ’55 Bell air that my mother and I shared as close to the shade as possible, with little success and made my way to our meeting place near the gardens. It was only noon and I knew I would have a bit of a wait until 230; so I had lunch and got lost in a good mystery novel. I had nearly half of the book read by the time 2:30 rolled around and I had lost track of time.

“What are you reading?” Gabriel whispered in my ear from directly behind me. Although I knew it was him the fact that I hadn’t heard or seen him made me jump.

“You have really got to stop doing that!” I snapped at him without looking behind me. I dropped my book and looked over my shoulder to where his voice was a moment before, but found that he was no longer there. Confused, I got up and checked behind the tree to see if he hid. I heard him laugh behind me.

“I’m over here now, Is.”  He chuckled.

I grumbled and walked to the other side of the tree. “That’s bordering on mean you kn…”  I paused and started giggling uncontrollably; I couldn’t help myself.

He was sitting on my picnic blanket clad in a long white hooded robe drawn up over his head, white gloves and his face was completely obscured by a white scarf over his face and neck and a large pair of black sunglasses. Not an inch of flesh on him was exposed.

“What is so funny?” He demanded looking up at me from where he sat on the blanket. I plopped myself on the blanket across from him, still giggling hysterically.

“What in the world are you wearing!?” I managed to say between breathless fits of laughter.

“I told you I would take extra precautions so I wouldn’t burn to a crisp. And stop laughing; I’m baking in this garb.” He said and began fanning himself with a large black hardcover book he had in his hand.

“I’m so sorry; I know I shouldn’t laugh but…” I said trying my best to get myself under control. “When you said extra protection I didn’t picture this. Did you bring your bathing suit at least?” I stopped laughing but still smiled to myself.