9 ; Lucas

The airport was giving Lucas flashbacks of when he left. The moment when he turned away from away from his friends and walked towards his new life in Texas. The air was familiar; the smells and sight were all the same. New York was timeless. Lucas felt lucky to grow up here, he knew that this was the city were lives change and he didn't take that for granted once. He thought of Texas; how the sky was always blue and covered with clouds, the grass always soft and not to prickly, and how the air felt fresher. New York smog was something his lungs did have to adjust back to.
The luggage carousel was filled and Lucas couldn't find his brown suit case with the tag shaped as a cowboy hat. Riley had sent him that one year and it had a permanent place on any suit case he used. It had been two — almost three years since he last saw Riley. Lucas wanted his new girlfriend Lindsey to meet her so bad but he didn't know how to tell his friends he had a new important person in his life. Lucas struggled telling his old friends about his new life that hardly includes them. Lucas overall was most excited to see Frakle. Even though Zay lived in Texas and he was Lucas's bestfriend, Frakle was so unique and was so different. He missed the contrast.
Back in Texas Lucas was a veterinarian; just like he had always wanted to be. The hours could be insane but he loved it. He remembered the first time he told Riley in the library. He was so lucky to have people in his life who always encouraged his to do his best and to reach his dreams.

Lucas was finally outside of the airport and he couldn't wait one more moment not being with his friends. He pulled out his phone and texted Riley, to let her know he was on his way over. He tucked his phone back into his pocket, and hauled a taxi. It was freezing outside. In Texas it hardly got cold, another thing that he need to get used to again.
The taxi ride to Riley's apartment took, what felt like, forever. The traffic was unreal. He had not missed this and was almost starting to miss Texas. Lucas tried to brush it off. He had only just got here, he needed to think about all the great things about the city. Every light kept turning red as soon as they would reach it and Lucas was becoming increasingly impatient. But finally they reached Riley's building and he stepped out almost appreciating the cold air.

Room 4C. That was Riley's. Luckily Riley's building had a functioning elevator and it was speed to reach the ground floor. It took almost two minutes to reach Riley's floor and suddenly a wave of nervousness came over Lucas. He was about to see and talk to Riley. 4C. The door was dark red and relatively close to the elevator. He stood at the door for a moment trying to make sure he remembered this. Then he raised his hand to knock on the door.
She was quick to open the door, He figured she would stay near the door after he texted her but the door flew open and Riley was a wide and bright smiled appeared. Before either of them could say anything they were in a larger than life hug and Lucas couldn't think or move. Also he now didn't understand why he had been so nervous. This was Riley pure and sweet Riley.
  "Hey Riles" He said pulling away to look at her face.
  "Hey Lucas" she spoke in a soft voice and she smiled larger. "Come on in" she encouraged.
  "Thanks, It's so good to see you" Riley's apartment was just as you would imagine it. Orange walls with bright furniture and books everywhere.
  "Lucas you need to visit more often! I've missed you so much" She said directing him to her couch.
  "I know, I know" Lucas said throwing his hands into the air. "But you should come to Texas" He said nudging her elbow.
  "I should, I love Texas, maybe over the summer?" She giggled. Lucas did hope she was being real about visiting. He was perfect in Texas and he didn't really understand why she stayed in New York. Riley need to live somewhere were there is only sunshine and rainbows, not smog and snow.
  "I mean it. You need to come back to Texas and visit. Maya should come too" Lucas exclaimed.
  "Hey Lucas?" Riley said shyly.
  "Yes?"
  "Do you want to come to my parents house for dinner?" Riley asked him with a hopefully expression on her face.
  "yes Riley, of course I'll come." he nodded.

AU::::::
hey guys sorry for not posting very frequently. I've been kind of unsure about how I want to progress with this story. I know what is going to go down its just getting there that's the hard part. Anyways thanks for reading. Pleas  vote if you enjoyed and I'll talk to you in the next chapter ❤️