8 ; Farkle

New York felt the same as Farkle remembered it but there was something new and exciting about it. The sky scrapers looked taller, the town busier, and food even better. Farkle had stopped at a pizza shop that opened the year before he had left for Oxford. The town was electric and alive and it was only 5:30 at night. England wasn't quite the same. He loved it there but New York was home. He was afraid to face his friends, he felt a strange sense of guilt for not being more of a friend to them. Even though they hadn't reached out much to him either he felt like he should have tried harder to maintain their friendship. He knew friends were different, Riley still saw the good in the world but was also very realistic, Maya had be come the most self assure rebel he knew and now she seemed to conform to what others want, and Lucas was still the Friendly giant Texan but now didn't feel as protective as he once had. Farkle knew the long term separation had changed his friends but he wasn't sure how much.
New York was too cold to think too much and Frakle just wanted to rest. Just deal with everything tomorrow. He had decided to walk to his hotel after having his dinner, he wanted to remember what he once had and the walk gave him no shortage of memories. The hotel was the closest one to Riley's apartment which is why he had chosen it. He doubted if he would have come if anyone else had asked. He loved Maya and Riley equally but with age Maya had slipped away finding her own way while Riley had always needed some guidance. Riley had always been the more dependent of the two girls. His suitcase dragged behind him as he walked into the lobby of the hotel. Suddenly he saw a familiar face. It was Maya. She seemed to be struggling with the women at the reception desk and Frakle quickly made his way to the bathroom.
-
He decided to wait a really long time in the bathroom just hoping that Maya wouldn't be outside when he exited. He had replied to some important emails, read a few articles on modern science, and had listened to some music he didn't know. Riley had taught him to do that. She always said that new music could lead to a new mind frame, or something along those lines. Frakle couldn't quite remember anymore. He finally built up the courage to leave the bathroom and either face Maya or finally get to his room. After Farkle stepped out of the bathroom he could tell if he was disappointed or relieved not to see Maya in the lobby.
"Hi, I would like a room," He said to the woman at the desk and she typed away at her computer.
"for one?" She asked looking a little too interested.
"Yes, thank you." He smiled and she turned and blushed. This made Farkle chuckle. He was never really hit on in high school, but as an adult he seemed to be quite a catch.
"Alright, well your room is on the 5th floor room 60." She said handing him the key to the room. "And if you need anything let me know." She winked at him and he couldn't help but smile and walk away.
-
Farkle could hardly sleep that night. He was excited for tomorrow but also afraid of what might happen. Either way Farkle couldn't wait for the new day to begin.

-----
also thank you guys for almost 600 reads and twenty some votes!