Chapter 17

I woke up from my daydream and placed the computer on my desk. I removed the flash drive from my glitchy computer, turned the new one on and plugged it in. I waited for the screen to load and continued...thinking (rather than daydreaming). The screen finished loading and the video started from scratch.

"Hi, I'm Angelika. I really don't know why I'm introducing myself when I know this is not going to be seen by anyone besides my future self. Anyway my future self, I really do hope you are happy. Hopefully you have friends now. Yes, I might not have any now but you might. So you probably already created our greatest invention yet. I still remember why and how I thought of it. Remember that..."

And again the laptop glitched uncontrollably and restarted. I banged my head on my desk in frustration. Why is this thing doing this to me? I almost lost all hope.

"Remember that time when all the kids wouldn't talk to us because we were creative and we thought out of the box and we just, we were different." The girl continued and I was ecstatic once more. I wrote down what I thought was important.

" When we got home it wasn't much better was it. Mom and Dad were always fighting and Mom just couldn't stop drinking. Now we really were alone." She started getting angry at, what seemed like to be herself but continued crying.

" No one gave a damn about us! I was just stuck in their insane world of despair and misery!" She stopped and wiped her tears. " We were just stuck in their insane world of despair and misery." She calmed down and continued with a much happier tone in her voice.

"So ya, the invention. So what is the necklace system. The necklace system is a system developed to make sure everybody has somebody. Matching everybody in pairs so that they're never alone! Oh and I'm not just talking couples, the necklace system even controls people's friends! Though it's not as evident."

Friends? Friends! This thing...this system controls friends too! What choice are we supposed to be left with if this system even controls our choice of friends!

Does that mean Chloe doesn't actually...and I don't...She doesn't even truly like me.

" This is the perfect system as everyone ends up being happy in the end. This will be our greatest invention! So there's a brief about what it's about. Good luck, Future Angelika." The video then ended and the laptop switched off.

I understand where this kid is coming from but...that's just selfish. I really need to destroy this system.

Well, at least I could tick one question off the list.

Why did people start the necklace system. ☑️