Chapter 2

Caleb's POV

All I could do in this very moment was sob.

As an Erudite, or former Erudite, I wasn't trained to act in such a fast way. I always thought I would be able to in a moment like this anyway, but it was now impossible. Now it felt as though walls had crashed onto my shoulders, my frail shoulders, barely capable of withstanding anything more than a touch. Looking down on her made my body twist into a sickly knot.

"Beatrice," I muffled through my sobs. her voice stinging my throat like venom, and I held back the urge to vomit all over the ground. I needed some relief, as selfish as it was, I needed something to fill the aching gap forming in my chest like a black hole.

"Beatrice," I breathed out, "please."

I couldn't just sit here; I couldn't sit in a pool of my little sister's blood knowing it was all my fault. I thought back to Christina and Uriah, and finally Tobias.

I may not have anyone but Beatrice to live for, but she has more...she needs to survive this, and today I was not going to let her die. My fingers instinctively unknotted from Beatrice's, her flesh as frigid as ice, and I managed a deep groan as her arms dropped into her own blood. No no no, I thought, my thoughts almost as loud as my heart in my chest.

I tore my eyes from her body and forced myself to blink away the tears no matter how much they stung my eyes. Rapidly, I examined the shots through her body. I could only see one, but I knew there were more. God, come on...just lift her up...roll her over do something!

Frantically, my hands as shaky as a rattle, I reached for her waist, as I gently tried to scoop her over. It was deadweight, but I was stronger than this, I could be both mentally and physically. I could, I had to.

Her body swayed in the ocean of blood, and I realized more blood was coming. Before I could even process my actions, I found myself lifting my shirt from around my head and knotting it over the second bullet wound which poured a river of blood. The gray color of my shirt instantly drained into a darker shade of red, and I knew I couldn't do anything here. I had to get her out of here, to safety...

A pain in my mind rose worst of all, and as much as I tried to push the thought away, it just wouldn't.

I was Erudite, I obviously have had it in my blood for as long as I can remember, and now, here I am in the one moment when my sister needs me the most and I know little than how to complete CPR? What the hell was going on with my head? I was not Erudite...I was not-

"CALEB!" A high voice sneered its way down the halls, as the sound of feet pounding against the tile floor filled me with shock. I did something I've never done before, something I think Beatrice would be proud of; at least her Dauntless side would be.

My fingers stumbled for the small revolver just a few inches from my feet, and I held it up towards the door, finger over the trigger as I kept my eyes wide open. I locked the bullet into view, and waited carefully as the steps came closer....two pairs of feet it sounded like. Except one was distant.

The lights above the small room flickered, chilling my spine as the air grew colder. The ridges of the wall turned tense, and I hushed my breath in just as the person rounded the corner into the doorway. "CAL-" she stopped right in her place, her scream dignifying the horror the scene in front of her portrayed.

My fingers loosened around the gun, dropping it into the blood as it splattered all against me.

Her cries screeched louder and louder, and I watched her knees buckle as she gripped onto the door. It was all that kept her strong body from collapsing to the ground as easily as Beatrice had.

Christina shook her head, and threw herself forward, and before I knew it, I had been shoved aside, my head hitting the wall with such an impact I let out a howl of my own. I watched on as my vision went from blurry to black, and I felt the warmth of a small stream of blood roll down my head.

Another pair of footsteps were coming our way, and this time, they were arriving faster than Christina.

I knew the second I heard the busty yet swift steps, and my eyes welded themselves open just as his shadow came in the corridor. In that moment, I heard the most painful human cry I knew existed.

It was enough to make me cover my eyes in dread, and lull back against the wall as his figure appeared in sight.

It was Tobias. And in that moment, I knew all the doubt I ever had against him vanished, and all I felt was pity as I listened to his sore cries. That wasn't enough to slow him down though; and I watched before my eyes as his cries transformed into strength, and his heart showed his courage.

He began CPR, rapidly and almost so hard I was scared it would break her, but I knew otherwise, he was trying to save her. He wouldn't let her go, and I was more sure about that than anything else in the world.

"Tris!" He screamed, pushing more on her chest, and hurriedly trying to hear the beating of her heart.

That light I hope I'd seen just a second ago suddenly seemed distant, and Tobias' face grew more and more in fear. "Christina, I need you now!" His voice wavered at the edge of its yell. He was panicked, and now I knew it had to be my turn to step in. As my brain knocked angrily on my head, I forced myself up, taking in a breath of blood and letting out a sigh of  desperation.

Anxiously, my eyes shot toward David, hung over in his wheel chair, and I did what was least expected of myself.

I shoved his lifeless body against the cement floor in just the blink of an eye. It wasn't until after I'd done it, that as I pushed him into the ground, that push had become a throw so his face was scheduled to smash hard against the floor. A sort of growl shrew itself out in the air, and I watched the monster full of anger take whatever revenge it could for shooting Beatrice. I wiped my hand on my sweaty forehead, and went back to work.

Quickly, I pushed the wheelchair's back to a position that it was lying down, and I commanded Christina and Tobias to place Beatrice on top. We were going to get her medical care now, there was no choice about it.

Christina had to shake Tobias from his state of concentration and finally the two worked together to get Beatrice on her only way out. Tobias nodded at me briskly, and I could see a tiny amount of relief fill his eyes; not much, but some. And now all we had was some.

Some hope.

Some chance.

Some opportunity.

But we only had one Beatrice, and I wasn't going to loose her now. Not now.

So before I could take even a half of a second to glance at the remaining scene of blood and death behind me, I wheeled Beatrice with such force out of that room that even I had knocked the wind from my lungs and thoughts from my brain.

(A/N): Sorry for such a long wait for an update, I've still been trying to recollect my thoughts on this chapter, and just kind of bring my ideas together. Thank you so much to everyone of you guys who reads this, comments, votes and tells other people about this. I really cannot explain how much it all means, and I'd love to hear what you thought of this chapter, or any predictions, ideas or questions! Thank you so much and until next time, be brave.♥♥♥