Chapter 5

Caleb's POV

I inched my way slowly to the room Beatrice lay in, knowing she would hate me, and yet at the same time knowing she would still love me.

After these few weeks I've had the time to think; actually think. In the way she would. It was my job in the first place to defend my sister. She had so much potential, such a further place she could take her life to that I knew it should've been me.

For God's sake, she was my little sister, my little sister, who had given herself up for me. I had never felt such a pain pointed in my direction my whole life, and now I was ready to take whatever punishment she would give me. A feeling inside me knew that she wouldn't punish me at all, and that was the worst possible thing she could do.

I shook my head at all the thoughts, running my hands through my un-brushed hair as I parted my way throughout the busy hallway. Nurses were running around frantically screaming remarks and the Doctors were concealing themselves behind separate room doors. Something wasn't right, it was something that instantly made my stomach lurch.

My feet picked up their pace as I hurried past people, all becoming a blur as the only thing that seemed clear was Beatrice's room number. 4H9. My eyes shimmered down each wall, peering in through windows and raggedly pulling on my hair. What room? She has to be close...

There, down the hallway I spotted him, and I instantly knew that was the room I would find Beatrice in. Tobias stood arched outside the door, pressed up against the white stained wall as he pleaded something to the head doctor. Even from here, I could hear as his voice went off in sour, worried tones while he anxiously searched the ceiling. His eyes whirled through and around the doctor, and I went off in a sprint to where they stood.

"Why is she scared?" Tobias's voice wasn't at all what I was used to; the nails on a chalkboard yell, but instead it held the worriedness of a sob, and I could already tell he was on the verge of tears. But how? What was wrong and where was she?

She could be dead...

No...no she couldn't. Not after all that we had been through. Not after everything she had given herself up for.

"Tobias? What the hell is-"

He slammed me against the wall, my head threw back harshly into the white shredding paint as I let out a small howl. His arm held my neck back as he lurched me away. "Get the hell out she doesn't need to see you." He spit at me, and I couldn't hold anything back. My head throbbed, and my heart stammered.

I threw myself at him, "She's my sister! Tell me!" I shoved him back as hard as I could, but of course against this Dauntless, it was nothing. "Tobias! Tell me!" I pointed my finger at him, and he blocked the door.

"The last thing she needs is to see you." He took in a loud breath, "You did this to her!" He started to come at me once again, but the doctor pulled him back, taking him into a room I didn't even notice that was behind me. Before I could stop myself, I took a step in, shutting the door.

Inside, the room was illuminate, the lights perfectly glowing above, as shelves and shelves backed the walls full of paperwork. I'd been to the hospital much more than I should the past couple weeks and yet I had never noticed this room. This room with its overabundance of books and information, and right away I realized how much I could learn in just this one area of the hospital...

Tobias sat across a small table from me, although he wasn't quite sitting. He was, but it looked as though he was ready to either strangle someone or pounce all at once...maybe both.

"So, I guess I might as well tell you boys what information we already have because the hospital is going crazy over it," the doctor's tone was silent, and my heart froze for a few seconds.

Tobias and I silently nodded him on.

"Well, as much as I hate to say this, all the patients in the whole arm of the hospital have experienced a severe case of memory loss. With patients here because of bullet wounds, deaths, surgeries, cancers, x-rays, everyone here has received this same sort of medical error. and the thing is, it is something we have never seen before. We've contacted out of area residencies, but none of them have experienced it nor do they have an idea. The tricky part is guessing what this could be since everyone has taken in this one memory syndrome."

I couldn't speak.

I couldn't move.

I couldn't even breathe.

At the same time I was registering what he had just said, was the exact same time I realized Tobias was already fleeing to the door. I couldn't help but follow him, leaving this doctor behind.

"Tobias! Wait!" I yelled, reaching for my arm just as he yanked it away, turning to face me as the tears streamed down his face.

Tobias's POV

I knew what this meant, all of it, thought I wish I hadn't. The doctor didn't even understand it because he had experienced the memory serum first hand just like all the patients. All the god-damn patients including Tris. My Tris...

My fists slammed hard against the wall, my cheeks soaking in my own tears, and all the pain stabbing me from within. My fists by now were bleeding, and my eyes stung, but as the memories flooded my mind, I knew right then that they would never be hers, never again. Tris had forgotten, and would forget for as long as I knew.

These people, here in the hospital hadn't taken the anti-memory serum, so of course they had forgotten; of course that's why I heard Zeke crying down the hall, Uriah hadn't gotten he same treatment as I did.

"But why Beatrice?" Caleb's voice awoke me from my thoughts, and I just brushed him away.

But still, his voice rung loudly in my head, but...why...Beatrice?

I knew she had taken the anti-memory serum, but then I realized that it had worn off. After she had lost so much blood with the serum in it, she must have absorbed the memory loss just as anyone else had, and so her too, her mind was gone.

There were no more questions.

And no more answers except one.

I knew I was going to have to help her, but from then on, I knew that her brain was completely fresh. I was new to her, and even though I was, I  knew as hard as it got, I would never be able to give up on her.

Not Tris...not my flame. She was the one who kept me going, and now I was more sure than anything that she needed me...

I would have to give her everything and more...At least she wasn't dead.

But she had forgotten me. I had promised her we would start our lives together when I got back nearly two months ago....

I had to keep that promise.

And that was when I heard her scream.

(A/N): Hey initiates, sorry it's been a while, I've just had my head in the books because of school ugh! But Divergent is so close and I saw a commercial for it on TV the other day and oh my gosh.

Done rambling, but I hope you enjoyed, and I tried to make the story progress a little faster this chapter, and I can't wait to update!

I'd love to hear your thoughts as it means the world to me! I can't thank you enough for all your support! 1,800 views means SO MUCH to me, and I really do hope my writing is worth it haha! Thank you again, and until next time,

BE BRAVE♥