Chapter Eight: Persuasion

Maria's POV:

While Elizabeth slept I went into her cabins to see what she was up to. I looked through her coat. I found a book. I flipped through the letters and found some sighned for Jack. "Letters of marque to ensure Jack's freedom." I whispered. Suddenly I saw Elizabeth sit up. "Maria, what are you doing here?" She asked. She looked at the letters in my hand. "Give those back." She said. "Why? These are for Jack. What are they for?" I asked. "You don't need to know." She said. She snapped at the letters but I kept them out of her reach. "If there for Jack I need to know." I said. "I thought you didn't give a damn about him anymore." She said. "If these letters are from the East India Trading Company then I need to know. Does that suit you?" I asked. I saw her determination to get the letters. I pulled me pistol out. "Either I keep 'em or practice my aim your choice lass." I said. "Fine keep them. I got them the same way you just did." She said.

I went back to my bunk and went to sleep. I put the letters somewhere she couldn't find them if she wanted them back. By morning the crew was too concerned of going the right way than what Gibbs, Jack, and I were talking about. "Beckett" Gibbs said. "Aye, there signed by Lord Cutler Beckett of the East Inida Trading Company." I said. "Agh." Jack said sticking his tongue out. "Will was working for Beckett and never said a word." Gibbs said. "Agh" Jack said without his tongue. "Beckett wants the compass. Only one reason for that." Gibbs said. "Of course. He wants the chest." Jack said. "If the company controls the chest they controls the seas." Gibbs said. "A truly discomforting notion, love." Jack said. "And bad. Bad for every mother's son what calls himself a pirate. I think there's a bit more speed to be coaxed from these sails. Brace the foreyard!" Gibbs shouted leaving us.

"Might I inquire how as to how you came to get these from Elizabeth?" Jack asked. "Persuasion" I answered. "Friendly?" he asked. "Decidedly not." I answered. "Will strikes a deal for these and upholds it with honor. Yet you're the one standing here with the prize. Full pardon, comission as a privateer on behalf of England and the East India Trading Company." Jack said. He turned to leave and began to put the letters in his coat. "As if I could be bought for such a low price." He said. I ran up behind him and said, "Give the letters back." "No. Persuade me." he said.

"You know Captain you have seen me kill a few men in our adventures. I don't think you want to be on that end." I said. He turned around. "As I said....Persuade me." he said. I groaned and walked away.

Jack's POV:

I stifled a grunt and went to me cabins. I set the letters on me desk and relaxed. Gibbs entered me cabins and sat next to me. "So I see your luring Maria back to you." Gibbs said. "Aye that be true. I can tell she still has a taste for me." I said. "Does she have a taste for you or do you have a taste for her?" Gibbs questioned. "You watch mate she'll come crawling to me once more." I said. "Captain don't you remember your the one who cheated on her." Gibbs said. "I know." I said. "And left her to die." Gibbs said. I shot him a look. "It just seems strange you pick now of all times to lure her back." Gibbs said. "Well lust has a curious way of showing it's self Gibbs." I said. I watched him leave.

Maria's POV:

The next day I sat on the steps and stared at the crew. I was troubled by the fact that Jack had gotten us into a debt of Davy Jones. I heard clanking and saw Jack. He sat next to me. "My tremendous intuitive sense of the female creature informs me that you are troubled." He said. "I just can't believe I'm stuck in another one of your tremendous problems." I said. Jack offered me a drink of his rum. I took a drink. "You know...Maria....being captain of this ship I can help you with dealing with this certain 'problem'. Right here. Right on this deck. Right.....Now." I recoiled from him. I couldn't believe he was trying to charm me at this moment. "No thanks, Captain." I said. I shoved the rum back to him and went over to the railing. "Why not? You know we did make a good team since we are alike, you and I. I and you. Us." He said leaning on the shrouds. "Except that for courage, sense of loyalty, and sanity." I said.

He looked stunned at first and then regained his charm. "Trifles. You will come over to my side, I know it." He said. "You seem so certain of ye self." I said. "One word love, Curiosity. You long for freedom. You long to do what you want to do because you want it. To act on selfish impulse. You want to see what it's like. One day, you won't be able to resist." He said. He stared off in the distance. I knew he was saying I wouldn't be able to resist him. "You realize I'm a pirate and that I do have freedom?" I questioned. "True enough." He said. "I guess you and I are alike. There will be a moment when you can show it and do the right thing." I said. "I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by." he said standing next to me.

"You'll have the chance to do something brave or even courageous." I said. "And you'll then discover something great. That you're a good man." I said. He smirked at me. "All evidence to the contrary." he said. He looked over the sea. "I have faith you'll prevail. Want to know why Sparrow?" I questioned. I turned my back to the rail and faced him. "Do tell dearie." He said. "Curiosity." I said. "You're going to want it. A chance to shine. And gain the rewards that follow your success. You won't be able to resist. You're going to want to know....what it tastes like." I said letting my breath gently reach him.

He turned to me. "I do want to know what it tastes like." He said. "But seeing as you're a good man I know you wouldn't put me in a position to make me look a fool." I said. He brushed his hand on my cheek. I was toying with his mind and it felt good. He was about to kiss me when I saw he looked at his hand. The Black Spot must have come back. I smiled and left him. "Land ho!" Gibbs yelled.