Chapter Nine: The Chest

Jack's POV:

I sat in the longboat holding my left hand and jar of dirt. I couldn't stop think that I almost had Maria in the palm of my hand. The one without the blackspot that is. We landed and Pintel and Ragetti watched the boat. "Guard the boat, mind the tide, and don't touch my dirt." I ordered. We walked out following Elizabeth. I glanced back at Maria who seemed quite pleased with herself for some unknown reason. We all stopped and watched Elizabeth walk around like a mad man, or mad woman.

"This doesn't work! And it certainly doesn't point to what you want most!" She said sitting down. I walked over and watched it spin and land on her. "Yes it does. Your sitting on it." I said. "Beg your pardon." She said. "Move" I said motioning her to move. I whistled and pointed to where Norrington was to dig. I sat down and watched. Maria sat examining her sword and dagger. I noticed how tight her black shirt was around her body. You wouldn't have noticed since she had her faded coat on. I watched her put her dagger back into her belt which was a dark red sash and leather belt mix. Much like me own.

I rested my eyes and waited for something to happen.

Maria's POV:

Suddenly Norrington's shovel hit on something. It made a loud thud. We all stood up and went over. Jack and I grabbed the handles and pulled it up. We brushed the sand off. At a moment Jacks hand landed and stayed atop mine. I quickly moved it. I panicked some when I felt my hand tingle in a good way. I brushed it off. I took the bud of my pistol and broke the lock on the sea chest. We opened it to find letters and withered flowers. We shuffled them around and pulled out a chest.

We placed our ears to it. I heard a heart beat. I pulled away quickly. "It's real." I said. "You actually were telling the truth." Norrington said. "I do that quite alot. Yet people are always surprised." Jack said. "With good reason." Someone said. We turned to see Will soaking wet. Elizabeth ran to him. They kissed which I really didn't want to see them do. "How did you get here?" Jack asked. "Sea turtles, mate. A pair of them strapped to my feet." Will said. "Not so easy, is it?" Jack asked. "But I do owe you thanks, Jack." Will said. "You do?" I said in surprise. "After you tricked me onto that ship to square your debt with Jones." He said. "What?" Elizabeth saiad. "What?" Jack said. I rolled my eyes.

"I was reunited with my father." He said. "Oh! Well....you're welcome, then." Jack said. "Everything you said to me....every word, was a lie!" Elizabeth said. "Pretty much. Time and tide love." Jack said. "What made you believe he wasn't lying?" I asked surprised. Will went to the chest and pulled the key out and a knife. "Oi! What're you doing?" Jack asked. "I'm going to kill Jones." Will said. Jack pulled his sword out and pointed the top to Will. "Can't let you do that , William. 'Cause if Jones is dead, who's to call his terrible beastie off the hunt, eh? Now if you please...the key." Jack said.

Suddenly Will drew Elizabeth's sword. "I keep the promises I make, Jack. I intend to free my father. I hope you're here to see it." Will said. Norrington drew his sword as well. "I can't let you do that either. So sorry." Norrington said. "I knew you'd warm up to me eventually." Jack said walked over to Norrington. Norrington pointed his sword towards Jack. Jack backed away and pointed the tip of his blade back at Will. "Lord Beckett desires the contents of that chest. I deliver it, I get my life back." He said. "Ah. The dark side of ambition." Jack said. I drew my sword and pointed it towards Norrington. "Oh, I prefer to see it as the promise of redemption." Norrington sneered. "I'm afraid Mister Norrington I can't allow that. You see even though Jack may be an ass he's still my captain." I said.

Norrington lunged at Jack. I luckily blocked it. I switched with Jack and fought Will. "Stop it!" Elizabeth shouted. I tripped Will and he landed in the sand. I ran after Norrington and Jack. As we fought I heard Elizabeth shouting at us. Eventually Jack had the key. He tripped and lost it. "Bugger" he shouted. I ran after Norrington. He turned and blocked my blow. I saw the key hanging from his hand. I grabbed the key and threw him to the ground. I ran off ahead of everyone. I heard Jack shouting for me to slow down. I didn't because I would have been caught.

Suddenly up ahead I saw a church. I ran up the steps with Norrington behind me. I turned and kicked his gut. I ran up and looked down. I saw Jack. Suddenly Norrington pushed him out of the way and ran after me. Jack being on the highest point falls and grabs hold of the bell rope. The bell began to ring. Suddenly Norrington took the key off my wrist. Will flew up and grabbed the key from Norrington's hands. "By your leave, Mister Norrington." He shouted. "Damn it." I said. I ran up after him. Jack cut up in front of me. He tried to break in the middle of the fight and grab the key. When he got the key they stopped and swung the blade out of Jack's hands.

"Do excuse me while I kill the two that ruined my life." Norrington said. "Be my guest." Will said. "Let us examine that claim for a moment." Jack said. "Who at the very moment you had two notorious pirates safely behind bars saw fit to free said pirates, and take your dearly beloved all to hisself, eh?" Jack said. "So who's fault is it , really, you've ended up a rum-pot deckhand what takes orders from pirates?' I said. "ENOUGH!" Norrington shouted. Jack and I both jumped and somersaulted off the roof of the church.