Chapter Eleven

Ishan's heart thumped louder and louder in his chest and came to a stop. There are some moments in life when the brain just slows down and everything you hear or feel or see turns vivid giving one all the time to grasp it. Ishan turned his head around hearing every horn on the road, the departing bus, a man running after it to catch it. He knew he should have taken the words, "Be careful" from Zakir more seriously.

In that moment of clarity, he thought he'll confess. Confess everything that had happened from the start. Truth was not enough to save him, but maybe it could soften the blow, reduce some years of his prison life or maybe send him to a juvenile prison, which was difficult given that he'd turn 18 in a few months. His head now turned around completely came into view of the man, the harbinger of his doom standing right in front of him.

"Hey, you dropped your wallet while jumping off from the bus. Here"

Ishan's heartbeat returned and he stood there open mouthed not sure of how to comprehend it. He ran his hand over his back pocket, his wallet was missing. He could breathe again.

But, how did the man know his name? Was this just a ploy of a drug-bust used by cops or a cheap trick by a rival drug gang to entice him into giving the package away? What if he opened the wallet and found thousand rupee notes in it and the man would ask him to hand over the package. Be calm, be calm, he told himself.

"It's yours isn't it?" The man said pressingly clearly irritated at Ishan's reaction or lack of reaction.

"Yes sir, but how did you know my name?" Ishan asked.

"It has your school ID in it, dummy," the man chuckled, handed it over to him and started walking away.

"Thanks ", Ishan said but nothing came out. He cleared his throat but the man was gone already.

Phew. Ishan heaved a sigh of relief. He gulped in as much as air as he could. He was amused how such a simple thing could scare him to pieces. He told himself to be calm in all situations. Apparently, this simple errand was not a piece of cake.

He had a rough idea where this place was and within five minutes he reached there. It was a big bungalow, bigger than Elena's, Ishan thought. All the windows of the bungalow were covered and the walls were high enough that he would have to jump to twice his height to get a peek.

A guard at the gate tried to turn him away "What do you want? Go away!"

Ishan said with a smug smile, "Zakir bhai has sent me. Call your master"

The frown on the guards face was gone and he said something on the intercom while Ishan waited. Soon, he swung the gate wide open and Ishan was in.

Ishan saw that the road to the main house was lined up with cars he'd never seen before. Porsches, Ferraris and BMWs were all lined up. This man was filthy rich, he thought.

He noticed a swimming pool in front of the stair laden entrance. The water in the swimming pool was not still, someone cut across it.

On reaching the edge of the pool she put her hands on the floor and pushed her weight onto it and rose above the surface of the water. It was a girl, she was wearing a black swimsuit and water trickled down from every part of her curvy body. The tips of her long brown hair reached down to her lower back. She was thin but curvy, a thin waist with a wide derriere. She was blessed with a sumptuous body which any girl would envy. She could be 17, 18 or 19, maybe even 20. It was hard to guess.

Ishan tried not to look but the girl had noticed him and started walking towards him, swaying her derriere from side to side. She had a long thin face with almond eyes and a sharp nose, her cheeks were sunken and her face lacked color, maybe because of staying in the sun too long. Ishan was sweating and shifted his feet, pointing them to the other side hoping it would make him invisible somehow.