Chapter 8

The kiss was sweet, and tender. Killian responded immediately. His hand went up to her hair and he twisted his fingers in her golden locks. As soon as it all processed in her mind, Emma pulled away. They both stood stunned. Killian's fingertips running over his lips, still feeling the tingling sensation that had been left. Emma on the other hand, couldn't believe what she had just done. She had kissed her boss. She had kissed Killian Freaking Jones. While she had a loving boyfriend! She looked back up to Killian who wasn't looking at her, but seemed to be lost in his thoughts instead.

"That was..." He trailed off, finally looking at her.

"A one time thing." She breathed.

"Emma, you can't deny that you felt something!"

"I have no idea what you're talking about." But, in reality, she did know. She had felt not just a few sparks, but a complete fire of emotions. The kiss felt different than the kisses she had shared with Neal. "Nothing can happen anyway. I have a boyfriend."

"Swan, he tried to sabotage my company, and lied about it! Do you think he is lying to you about anything else?"

"I-I have to go." Emma tried to push past him, but he grabbed her wrist firmly.

"Tell me the truth."

She sighed. "Everyone says that there is something fishy going on with him, but I just don't see it."

"Do you love him?"

"I-" Emma cut herself off. That was one question she couldn't answer to. "I don't know."

"Then why are you moving in with him?"

"Why do you care?"

"I just... Want to make sure that you are happy."

"I'm fine, Mr. Jones." He released her arm and Emma shrugged out of the jacket he had given her early in the day. "Thanks for the jacket, and the promotion. But I have to go."

Killian went out to the hallway and watched as she grabbed her laptop and made her way to the elevators. He snatched her wrist as she walked by, and her head shot up. He held up a key. "For your office." She took it from him, and their hands brushed together. A sudden jolt of electricity shot from their hands and into their bodies. They both felt it, but refused to call out on it.

"Thank you."

Emma rushed down to her car and got away from the building as fast as she possibly could. There was a heavy feeling of guilt in her stomach. She couldn't believe she had kissed her boss. Especially while she was already in a relationship! She slumped against the seat and sighed. As she got to her apartment complex, she shut the car off and just sat in the silence. Maybe breaking up with Neal was the thing she should do. She didn't have feelings for him anymore, and it wasn't the right thing to do, to lead him on when it wasn't going to lead anywhere.

Looking to her left, she saw his car in the parking lot, closer to the building. Now would be as good a time as any to break up with him, right?

Emma got out of her car and grabbed her laptop case from the trunk and went inside and upstairs. She went inside quietly and could hear Neal on the phone. She took off her heels and quietly shut the door behind her, trying to make as little noises as possible. It wasn't the right thing to do, but, at that moment she really couldn't find any reason to care.

"Dad, I promise that I messed up the drive. I tried not to make it too obvious, but Killian is smarter than we realized. It cost me my job.... Yes, I know I fucked up. I'm sorry... Look, I have to go. I think Emma is back and if she hears too much she might get the wrong idea... No, I haven't broken up with her. I love her." Emma crossed her arms over her chest, and waited for him to come out. When he did, the smile that was on his face faded instantly. "Hey, baby."

"No. What will I get the wrong idea about? What aren't you telling me, Neal?" She asked, getting straight to the point.

"Nothing, Emma."

"Stop lying to me! Have you been working for Gold this entire time? Giving little pieces of information to him because you wanted to betray Killian?"

"Yes, I have. But, I actually have a confession to make. My name isn't Neal Cassidy. It's Neal Gold. I'm his son."

"What else have you been lying about? Are you on the run from police? Was knowing me a mistake? Did you just pretend to like me?" Emma couldn't see anything but red in her vision.

"No. Emma, you have to believe me when I say that I love you."

"Yeah, right." She said sarcastically. "I'm glad that you fucked up. I'm glad that Killian found out about you. I'm glad that he fired you. I'm glad that you are getting out of my life! We're done. I should have listened to what everyone said about you. That there was something you were hiding, but I stood up for you! I defended you! And they were right! Do you understand how much time I could have saved if I would have listened to them? I could have found someone that actually cared for me. Not just so they could earn my trust."

"Emma, please. I didn't mean for you to find out this way. I didn't even want to take part in any of this. My dad forced me, and I just couldn't say no."

She scoffed. "Get out."

"Don't do this."

"I said get out! I don't want to see you, or hear from you, ever again!"

"Okay." Neal walked to the door and went out, but Emma knew he was lingering in the hallway. She went to the door and looked out, seeing him slowly walking to the stairs with his head hung low and his hands in his pockets. "I'm glad I kissed him!"

Neal's head shot up and she could see tears in his eyes. "What?"

"I kissed Killian, and I'm glad." She went back inside and locked the door and collapsed to the ground in tears.

She had her answer. She actually did love Neal after all.