Chapter 31

Emma drove back to Killian's house with him in the passenger's seat. She pulled into the driveway and let her head fall against the headrest. Killian put his hand on her knee and she looked over at him. He smiled weakly at her. She laid her hand on top of his, and he turned his hand around and clasped her fingers with his. He ran his thumb over the back of her hand in soothing circles and she hummed.

"I know it's hard, darling." He raised her hand to his lips and he kissed her hand. "But, everything will work out." She sniffed and nodded. "Let's go inside. I can make you a grilled cheese sandwich and then we can watch a movie or something."

"Thanks, but I'm not hungry." She turned to him and his blue eyes shone as bright as ever. "Can I tell you something without having you freak out on me?"

Killian cocked an eyebrow in confusion. "You can tell me anything, love." His thoughts were roaming though. He had no idea what she was about to say. There were endless possibilities, and he couldn't just settle on one. What if she wanted to break up? What if she was pregnant?

"I love you." Killian sat back in the seat. A smile breaking out on his face. "Thank you for coming with me to the funeral today."

He chuckled. "Oh no, we aren't going to ignore the first thing you said." He got out of the car and went over to the driver's side. He opened the door and held his hand out for her to take. He pulled her out of the car and she stood up. Without hesitation, he pressed his lips to hers, catching her by surprise. But, Emma kissed him back instantly. "I love you too." He whispered when they pulled away. "Let's go inside."

When they went in, Killian barely had time to hang up his jacket when his phone started to ring. He sighed loudly and Emma knew that whoever was calling, it wasn't good. She hung up her jacket and put a hand on his shoulder, getting a glimpse at the caller ID and groaning internally.

"I'll be upstairs, waiting for you." She kissed his cheek and giggled as she walked up the steps.

"Bloody vixen." He chuckled and swiped the answer button over. "Yes, Liam? If you've called to see if I have my head screwed on straight, I can say that I don't and have officially lost my mind." He laughed at his own words and went into the kitchen to start making grilled cheese sandwiches.

"Killian, is it okay if I come over? I need to talk to you."

"Emma's here, so you can come over if you're comfortable with her being here."

"I don't care. I just want to talk to you."

"Fine, brother. But I do hope you are coming to apologize."

"Aye, I am. I truly am sorry for everything that I've done. I should have been happy for you. I shouldn't have tried to break you two up multiple times. I know you probably won't accept my apology and forgive me, but I want you to know that I won't attempt to come between you again. We are family and I will just have to learn to accept Emma."

"What changed, brother?"

Liam sighed on the other side of the phone. "You were right. Ariel was cheating on me. The child isn't even mine. I don't know long it's been, but I found out today. I should have listened to you. But, I'm ready to redeem myself."

"Sure, Liam. But I'm not saying that Emma can forgive you as easily."

"You're damn right I won't." Emma snapped from behind Killian.

"I have to go, Liam. I'll call you later." Killian hung up and turned to her. "Swan, he's just coming over to apologize."

"I would never say you can't see your brother, and I hope you know that. But, I don't want to be here when he shows up."

He sighed. "I understand."

"I love you, Killian. I don't want you mad at me, and I am not telling you how to run your life, but I'm leaving. Call me after he leaves, okay?"

"Okay. But, at least stay for your grilled cheese?" He turned to the stove and put a perfectly cooked sandwich on the plate. He held it out for her with a smirk.

"Not fair, Mr. Jones. You know I can't resist those." She grabbed the plate and sat down at the island.

"I know." He chuckled and grabbed his own sandwich and sat next to her. "Will you come back after he leaves?"

"Yeah. Just call me, alright? I don't want to cause anymore trouble between the two of you."

"You are worth every amount of that trouble, darling." He ran the back of his fingers down her cheek. "Every bit of it."

She smiled. "Thank you." She kissed the palm of his hand.

"I'll always be here."

After they ate, Emma grabbed her jacket and keys and went to the door. "I have to go home anyway and change my clothes and shower and do all that wonderful stuff. But, I've been meaning to ask you if it's okay if I brought some things here? Just whenever I stay the night and need clothes for the next day."

"Absolutely. Bring whatever you need. I have a whole closet filled with black leather jackets. I think I can make some room for some red leather."

She laughed. She leaned up on her tip-toes and kissed Killian sweetly. She knew that if she let the kiss grow to much more than a simple kiss, she would never be able to leave. So, she pulled away and smiled at him. "I'll be back later."