Chapter 8: A Second Mistake

Chapter 8  A second mistake

It kept nagging at him.  Something didn’t feel right but he couldn’t figure out what it was.  He had run all day and throughout the night, over the top of the mountain, and back down the other side.  He sat at the edge of the trees eating trying to find the answer to what was plaguing his mind.  

“It was too easy.”  he thought.

As he stood before Ghaleron the day before destroying his mind and the very essence of who he was the old man never lifted a finger to defend himself.  He never tried to cast a spell.  He never even tried to stand up.  He just sat there and welcomed death.

Nathar knew that there was only one reason he wouldn’t fight back, only one reason that made sense.  “He was hiding someone.”  He said aloud.

Ghaleron wanted Nathar to kill him and be gone, knowing that his mission was to destroy all of the keepers of knowledge.  He didn’t want him to linger.  Or better yet he didn’t want anyone to come out of hiding and intervene.  He wanted to die quickly, before someone couldn’t bare the screams anymore and came out to defend the pathetic old man.

“The daughter.”  He thought.

That was possible, but didn’t make sense.  She would have been trained in magic for years and would have rushed to her fathers aid immediately.  No, it couldn’t have been her.  Maybe the old man was telling the truth, maybe she had died as a baby.  But who then?  A student.  Possible, but how when he had spent years destroying all evidence of magic in the five kingdoms?

The kings themselves had been born to a time where the secret was not passed down.  It had to be a new student though.  But would Ghaleron had gone through so much pan just to save a student.  He could have taken the chance of fighting back, It had to be someone who he deeply loved for him not to at least take a chance in fighting.  

Then it hit him.  What if it was more than one.  A new student would have held his daughter out of the fight, not wanting to reveal their location and die themselves.  It was the only theory that made sense.  It had to be two of them.

He cursed himself for allowing himself to be fooled again.  It had been almost fifteen years since he had made a mistake this grievous.  The night he had been fooled by a pathetic little knight who had penetrated his mind and allowed the king to escape.

He hadn’t slept in over a day and was starting to feel fatigued but he had to be quick.  This time he was chasing a foe that he had never seen and did not even know where to begin looking for them if they had already made their way out of the mountains.  He had to rest though and after an hour the thought came to him.

He knew how to find them.  If they were running they would have to leave through one road and one road only, and that road would have to take them past a person who owed him dearly.  A person who could find any that crossed their path.  A person who he had trained years ago in the art of the shadow to start creating havoc in the kingdom.  This person had a small army at his disposal now and could cover a lot of ground.  This person was not the type to hand over someone to him to die though.  But Nathar could be persuasive.

He would make his way to him immediately.  It would take a few days but he could get there in plenty of time.  He sat up camp again thinking about his future success.  Tomorrow he would head off to the FOX.

Thanks for reading the two new chapters.  Let me know what you think.  I will be posting a few more chapters this week as i took the week off from work to catch up on some school work.  Fan me if you want to be notified or just check back over the next few days.