Chaptrer 9: Home Again?

They sat up late that night telling Richard all that had happened.  Catrina helped some but mostly let David explain.  Richard looked in shock for the most part as they told him.  He kept asking if they were pulling his leg, but he knew David well and knew he never had the imagination to come up with this kind of story.  David had trouble explaining magic and when Richard finally did catch on it wasn't till Catrina made the candle flame intensely that he began to believe them.  When David got to the part about Ghaleron dieing at the hands of Nathar Richards eyes went wide and Catrina stepped out of the room. 

 "You think it was the same Nathar that killed your parents?"  he asked. 

 "I don't know."  he said honestly.  

"How would he have learned about this magic stuff?  Or about where those that keep this knowledge are at or that they even existed?"  Richard asked.  

"I don't know.  He is a king though, the knowledge would have been passed down to him"  David explained.

They sat there in silence for a moment and Catrina came back into the room.  David could tell she had been crying but pretended not to notice.  

"when do we leave?"  Richard asked.  

"Leave?" David responded.  

"This is the adventure we've been waiting our whole lives for"  Richard said.  "besides we're the only ones that know about this.  Someone has to stop him."  

David looked at him and turned away.  "I’ve spent the year wanting nothing more than to get back home.  This is where I belong, where we belong."  He told Richard.  "The king will handle this when Nathar makes his intentions known.

 Richard looked at him disappointed.  

"I’ve have enough adventure for my life.  I just want to get everything back to normal."  David said.  Tomorrow morning I want to talk to Brigham about getting my job back and see Lily.  That's the only thing I care about."  

Richard looked at him sympathetically and looked down.  

"what's is it?  David asked.  

"Well I don't really know how to say this but after you left.......Lily um....."  Richard looked down Again.  

"What is it?  Is she ok?  David asked with a look of worry on his face.  

"She's fine David its just a few months after you left Lily turned fourteen, and well, her father kind of arranged for her to get married."  Richard explained.   

"who?" David asked. 

"Michael, the blacksmith."  Richard hold him.  

David sat there and let it all sink in.  Surprisingly it didn't bother him as much as he thought.  He looked over at Catrina and realized that his feelings had changed in the past ten months since he went into the well.

they talked for a little longer and then finally decided to go to bed.  It had been a long time since David had slept on his bed and it was a lot more comfortable than the hard ground in the cave.  Despite how much he missed his home and simple life He found himself missing the small cave.  Or maybe it was all the good times he had there.  He missed Ghaleron greatly and begin to think about all he had taught him.  He laid there for a while thinking about everything until he finally fell asleep.

*************************************************

David woke up the next morning and noticed that Catrina was getting her things together.  

"where are you going? he asked in surprise.  

“I'm going to find the other knowledge keepers."  she said.  "I was trying not to wake you.  I didn't want to burden you with this David."