I Swear : The Ending

I wanted to punch myself for seeing Michael like this.

The smell of blood and alcohol was heightened inside the room but what made me want to throw up were the pipes and tubes sticking out from...

I closed my eyes and hoped that everything is just a bad dream...

"He got into a fight with a gang outside the school when he refused to give his phone and his wallet. Lumaban siya." (He fought back.) Mom said as she was with a police officer at that time.

"We caught the people involved with this and we're filing a law suit against them." Dad tapped my shoulder and left me with Michael.

Ang saklap naman universe. (The universe can be really bleak...) Why Michael?

I wanted to punch the wall for seeing him like this. He had tubes and bruises all over his face.

Then I remembered he can hear me. I approached him slowly and as my steps echoed the room, my tears fell with every breath I did.

"Michael..." My throat was so dry I had to stop first. My breathing was getting heavier and heavier.

Hinawakan ko yung kamay niya. (I held his hand.)

I was so cold. But it had a pulse.

I squeezed it.

No reaction.

Dami niyang laslas (Too many cuts) and it's making me want to hurt myself too.

"Babe..."

Umiyak nalang ako. Umiyak ng umiyak sa tabi niya. (I just cried. I bawled by his side.)

I could feel my heart wear out from all the stress. Gusto ko din ma-coma para...para man lang sabihin sa iyo diyan sa panaginip mo na okay lang, nandito ako...nandito ako at hindi kita papabayaan. (I wanted to be in a coma too...just for me to be in his dream to say to him that everything is okay and I'm here... I'm here and I am never going to abandon him.)

Three months...two weeks...13 hours and 20 minutes. His wounds have faded a little. His hair is getting longer. I helped in his everyday care at his house. Sometimes my friends would visit him and we'd all tell stories with him because... he still can hear us. James is doing well but cries like me at night. I have to sleep over a lot at Michael's house just to keep James...happy.

My parents are cool with all the expenses but it can never get rid of the emotional stress of waiting and waiting. But hey, I never give up. Hindi ako yung tipong nangiiwan. (I'm not the type who abandons people.)

"Babe..." His breathing was so soothing.

Hinawakan ko yung kamay niya. Wala pa rin. (I held his hand and still nothing.)

"Kakantahin ko yung favourite song mo. Yung Watch Over You." (I'm going to sing your song. You know, the Watch Over You song.)

Iniimagine ko nalang yung reaction niya. Usually hihinto muna siya sa ginagawa niya para bigyan ang buong atensiyon niya sa akin. (I was contented in just imagining his reaction. Usually he would stop what he was doing just to give me his undivided attention.)

Ako. Ako yung magwawatch over sa iyo Michael. (Me. It's me who will watch over you Michael.) Just wake up for me.

I would skip some days of school because I can't concentrate on my studies.

Instead, I'd spend the whole day...just sitting there and talking and talking.

He might get really irritated with me for being talkative but...in a way, it helped me get by.