Chapter 7

"Hurrrrrrrryyyyy upppppppppppp." Gabe overdramatically groans.

"I'm coming I'm coming!" I sass as I get the last few edits into my work. I type madly onto the keyboard and try and tune out Gabe's groans and moans. Finally finishing what I want to, I save my paper quickly and shut off the laptop. "I'm done!" I announce.

"Finally!" Gabe exclaims. I get off my chair and grab my things. Gabe waits more paitently than before as I shove all my things into my bag.

"Okay, let's go." I say and walk to him. As I past him I swish my hand back and knock off his snapback. Gabe dives for it, saving it before it touches the ground. He glares at me as I playfully and innocently smile at him. He runs a hand over his hair before putting the snapback back on. 

We walk silently to the elevator and when we get inside, Gabe enthusicically presses the Ground Level button. He is such a kid at heart. We step out of the elevator and go down the long hallway, not before Gabe grabs one of the last donuts and stuffs it in his mouth.

"Bye guys! See you tomorrow!" Charlotte says perkily.

"Bye Char." I wave.

"Lahtah Char-lot." Gabe says with his mouth full of the chocolate donut. I elbow him in the side and he playfully glares at me. Charlotte laughs at our exchange as we leave the building.

"What was that for?" Gabe asks, swallowing the donut.

"You are disgusting." I state, dodging busy tourists.

"All I said was 'Later Charlotte'. How is that disgusting?"

"Maybe the remains of donut in your mouth. Now come on, you owe me ice cream."

"I do not owe you ice cream. You made that up."

"Well since you told Mr. Woods that I was having lady issues I think ice cream is a small price to pay." I wink.

"Fine but only because I really want ice cream."

The little bell in the Sprinkle's door ring when we walk in. I breathe in the minty scent of freshly made mint chip ice cream.

"Hi guys! Your usual I'm guessing." Ashlee smiles at us.

"Surprise surprise." I say in a 'duh' voice. She just laughs and starts scooping our ice cream.

"Hey remember Josh? The guy I dated?" She asks.

"What's with the past tense? Dated?" I note.

"Nothing, I just learned he was a cheating asshole and dumped him." She says in a nonchalant voice.

"You want advice?" I almost laugh. I've almost become her big sister when it comes to things like boys. How? I don't know because I've had very few boyfriends in my life.

"Yes please." She groans while smiling.

"Just show him that you are way better without him. Show him what he's missed. Be all happy and laughing and when you see him, just smile, a nice easy smile. Whatever you do, don't scoff or groan at him when he can see you. He'll feel like he has won."

"That actually makes sense... thanks Cass!" She says as she hands me my ice cream. 

I turn and see Gabe is giving me a weird look. "What?" I ask, taking a bite of the cherry vanilla ice cream.

"Nothing." He says quickly and shoves a huge spoonful of ice cream in his mouth.

Suddenly a flash of light ignites from outside and a loud clap of thunder. I jump in fright and turn to see the window stained with rain.