~Shayne: Chapter 8~

We were finally on the island, but something seemed a bit off about it. I searched around to see if anything was any different from when I'd last seen it, but everything seemed to be intact. I narrowed my eyes at this, knowing that deep down... something was up. Maybe Annika had figured out that I was the one after her and is now trying to do something sneaky, like trick me. At that very thought, I was fuming. When we finally landed, I ordered for the pilot to stay in the jet and wait no matter how long it took, until I was back into the jet before leaving.

I stepped off the jet cautiously, but I hadn't planned for the ground to feel like jello under my feet. I stared at the ground incredulously until I noticed that I was completely stuck and it seemed as if this stuff was slowly dragging me down into its depths just like quick sand. I cursed, knowing that this must be some type of illusion. I just had to find the hole in it so I could cut through. Annika seems to have some skills in her powers after all. I scoffed at the thought. I looked to see if the pilot noticed anything wrong with me, but the pilot seemed to have a horror-struck look engraved into his vision, so I guess that meant he was in an illusion as well. I cursed once again, having to come up with a plan to slow down the sinking process, as well as, come up how to find the loophole and destroy it. I sighed at the work cut out for me. No wonder no one was able to get to her if she was this skilled already. I stopped mid-thought as I remembered that she'd been looking for someone on this island. What if she found them?

That would make all the sense in the world! But... I digress. I have to figure out how to get out of this jello substance. Remembering that I was half demon, I let a smirk spread across my face. I knew I probably shouldn't be using these powers period because they were obviously evil, but I had no other choice because it was the easiest way out of this stupid illusion. Concentrating, I searched for the force-field that was bound to be around this island to create the illusion.

I felt a jolt and knew immediately where the force-field was. I smiled at how easy it had been for me to find it. Then I focused my new-found powers into tearing it down. What seemed like forever passed before I opened my eyes and saw a man and the beautiful girl from earlier standing before me. Jack pot!

It seemed to me that the man had positioned himself to be in front of the beauty before me that hours before, I'd been conversing with. I had made an amazing entrance with the shattering sound as the illusion had been broken and now I had to act the part. Annika didn't seem to be looking at me, she was whispering into the man's ear and the man tensed, trying to keep a neutral expression at what she had said. I let out an annoyed sigh to get their attention, although she didn't quite look up until I spoke.

"Took long enough for it to finally break." I said, a little annoyed at how long it had took to begin with. It took almost an hour! I heard a gasp slip from her pink, plump lips when she saw me. I let a smirk spread across my face.

"Now... I guess I understand why you hadn't told me your name earlier." I say, trying to strike up a conversation. The man looked at her questioningly and she whispered something in his ear. Understanding settled into his eyes and he nodded curtly before his gaze lazily landed on me. A half smile spread across his face and he seemed to relax. What the hell was he doing? Didn't he know that there was a fight about to start and it was going to involve all of us?!

"Shayne is it?" The man asked, amusement clear in his eyes as Annika look at him and a blush spread across her flawless cheeks. She looked to be embarrassed by the way she looked. It seemed as if she'd known the man all her life instead of just a few hours when I had dropped her off here. I nodded slightly in answer, not allowing myself to relax because that would be when they would attack.

"So you're one of them then?!" I heard Annika's voice ring out in irritation. I didn't really understand why she seemed so angry about it. When I looked into her beautiful eyes, I almost got lost but then I pulled myself together and willed myself to focus. A confused look passed her features as she stared at me for a little longer and then her eyes widened in astonishment and understanding. What could she have possibly found out about me?! Hopefully it wasn't that I was half demon! She smiled a little at me, secretively. At first, I thought she was going to lean into the guy and tell him what she had found out, but to my surprise... she didn't do anything but continue to stare at me in wonder. That was when I remembered that she had asked me a question. Thinking it over, I responded.

"Yes, I guess I am." Her eyes flared up in bewilderment. Just as she was about to ask me a question that would most likely involve what I was, I spoke up once again, cutting her off. "Well, it was nice to chat and all, but I'm on a tight schedule... so I have to hurry up and fight the both of you and then return back home." I could hear a small gasp come from Annika once again, but she seemed to be lost in thought. She suddenly looks at me, her eyes getting even darker... if that's possible.

The guy looked at her, surprised at what was happening. He suddenly put a gentle hand on her trying to calm her, but it wasn't helping as anger seemed to flow throughout her harmoniously. I gulped, a little intimidated by the glare she was giving me.

"You! How could you do this to your own?!" She yelled out to me before I could cut her off again. The man was getting even more confused when she said this, which I thanked because I didn't want him knowing about what I was. I was actually somewhat grateful because I knew that she had said it that way so only we would be able to understand it.

"I... my reasoning isn't important, Annika. This is my job and I never back down from a job. Prepare to die Annika Penny! Go to hell you Dark Princess; I'll be meeting you there when my time comes." I whispered the last part as I looked into the shimmering blackness that was her eyes.