A Passage From the Book

After fifteen minutes of jogging they stopped. "They're gone," panted Eva. "We need water," huffed Ruby. Eva checked the book. She pointed to a shop nearby. "We'll be safe in here. Want me to tell you what woulda happened if we stayed?" Inquired Eva. Ruby nodded. Eva opened the book and read aloud.

"Carol  tripped. Ruby rushed to her side. "Are you ok?" She asked, but Carol had been knocked out from the fall. She tried desperately to pick her up but her pursers were upon her in a second. A man with yellow eyes and breath that smelled of raw fish grabbed her hands and tied them behind her back. She struggled, but he was considerably strong. There was another man, presumably the voice they'd heard before. "If you don't stay still you might get hurt," he advised in a steady voice. Ruby stared at him. In contrast to his companion, he had bright purple eyes that shone out of the dark shadows that surrounded him and a maniac smile.

See? Those are bad people, trust me." Finished Eva. Ruby nodded. "Now do you know where we can get a drink?" She asked. Eva looked worried. "You didn't need food or water in the book, so it didn't mention it," she said quietly, "so... We might have sacrificed our guide... To survive... Only to die of hunger and dehydration."