8. Time Flies Like Doves

It had been sensational. Mike's return to school. He didn't go home. One day he simply showed up for registration, out of nowhere. And it had been sen-sa-tion-al.

That moment he'd been bombarded with questions.

The next day he'd been bombarded by the press.

The next week he'd been the talk of every news reporter, newspaper, and gossip monger.

The next month, things started to slow down a little. He got a chance, finally, to relax a little.

The paparzzi had been inconveinient, insatiable, insane, every word in the book. From cliched wanna be reporters that jumped from bushes and wore crappy disguises, to well-to-do I've-made-a-name-for-myself reporters that used their names and blatant "fame" to try to get interviews with Mike.

Mike had steeled himself, tried to mentally prep himself for the media onslaught, but at 15 there's only so much a kid can handle. 

That was just over two years ago now. To this day I have no clue what he told them about his disappearance; he didn't go with the kidnapping story, but from media reports I've heard that he ran away, another story tells that he hid in Will's basement without anyone knowing, yet another story says that he sailed the world (trust the tabloids), and another said that he'd found a cave and become a recluse as a result of the trauma.

I hadn't seen him for six months after that night we'd spent on the roof. When I came back I'd brought up pillows and two blankets, we'd lain on the roof as the night progressed, both knowing that the next morning would change everything, knowing that the solace that we'd forged was finally ending. It sucked, but at the same time it was inevitable.

So now we're 17. Almost 18. His parents separated, it had been ugly, then slowly warmed up to each other again. Their house has never been the same. The abuse didn't stop altogether after the police, but it never got that bad again.

My parents and I were more or less fine. Home schooling was boring as ever, not really much to say on the topic. School was school, I just didn't get the regular drama that fueled the heartbreak of an average teenage girl in a public or private school.

Mike had been working his hardest since the day he got back to school. Passing out on textbooks at home, or on my shoulder on the rarer and rarer occasion that he'd gotten out of the house to hang by our tree. I hadn't understood why he was pushing himself so hard until a few months ago. I'd thought at first that he was doing it to avoid the press, then, more selfishly, to avoid me. But, to my relief, he wasn't doing either.

He wanted a scholarship. The courtcases his parents got involved in, although not totally damaging to their bank account, put a big dent in it. His parents told him he couldn't go overseas, he had to stay and go to uni here, but it was at that moment that he realised he wanted to get as much land between himself and his parents. He knew they wouldn't support him, so he'd started saving, working hard.

Today was the day. He'd applied for the scholarship- unbeknownst to his parents- and today he'd either get an acceptance letter, or a condolence letter. For both our sakes I hoped and prayed for the first option. He'd be heartbroken if he didn't make it, not only would he feel like he'd failed, but failed himself.

He saw this as his big chance to break away from the hurt of his hometown and the rumours. 

Neither of us spoke about the good stuff he'd be leaving behind too, though. Stuff like me. His childhood friend. I hadn't gotten over him. There hadn't been a day that my heart hadn't sped at the thought of his hand touching mine, or the sound of his voice in my ear. I ignored the heartbreak that I'd face if he got the scholarship. 

My biggest fear was that he'd forget me. Everything, all of it, because it hurt too much. And whenever I started down this train of thought my heart would clench and I'd have to shake my head to stop myself being so selfish. Mike wanted this. He needed this. He would be happy. That's all I wanted. I knew he loved me as a best friend and sister, but that wasn't enough to make him want to stay. I didn't hold that against him.

For me uni wasn't a big deal. I'd probably not go. Not a huge loss, my mum had gone to uni, but my dad hadn't and as family we weren't that bad off. I now had a good weekend job and some savings for myself. I'd probably end up moving somewhere down the street like most other people around here. I'd find myself a cosy job and work regular shifts, possibly find someone else after Mike left. I'd never love anyone the way I loved Mike, but that didn't mean I couldn't try- Mike wouldn't want me to be unhappy.

Either way, the letter arrives today and our futures will be on their due courses. With that thought I grab my keys and jump the back fence and begin walking to the tree, where we'd agreed to meet and open the letter (that's right- he wasn't allowed to open it until we were both there to see.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the short chappie and I know I haven't uploaded in AGES! Don't worry, more is on it's way I promise! I'm starting a MUCH better ch9. I'm not happy with this chapter but it's really just here as a transition to move the story along a couple years so we can get to the good stuff :P