chapter 10

She could scent dinner from her massive bed room. She laid idly on her bed with the thin, almost transparent vale down, almost obscuring the rest of the room and the little that was seen turned pink due to the vale.
The room smelt like lilac and roses, the palace. Esme didn't know what to think, whether to dread or to be grateful, she didn't know. Her heart was heavy and occasionally, she'd wipe away little tears that fell.
There was a knock on her door, "My lady, your father, the king (may he live forever) would like to meet you for dinner; you must change now your highness," she said with her head bowed and her hands raised her skirt a little in a curtsy. Esme stood from her bed, the maid came in with three others and they took off her clothes as she soaked in a perfumed bath, the size of a pool. They left her, making preparations for her dress and when they were done, they put her in a crimson silk dress and wore diamonds on her neck and pearls on her ears, crimson lipstick was applied on her lips and a ring on her finger. Her hair was packed up with jewels tucked into them.
The bell rang for dinner and Esme went to the dinning room where her father sat on one end of the table, she curtsied and bowed her head, then sat.
King Roland was a hefty man though old, his hair turned peppered with stress, he wore a mostache and now, his brows were creased with an expression Esme couldn't read. She sat nervously as she picked her napkin and tucked it around her waist, the old Edemore way. Esme ate as she was taught but ate a lot, she hadn't had such food for a long time and now, the sight alone made her catch her breath.
She sighed, "enough?" Her father asked and she jerked, "y-yes your highness" she replied and turned red.
He walked her to the ball room and slapped her hard, she fell to the ground and her head hit the hard concrete ground, "YOU LEFT WITHOUT MY CONCENT!!" he said and kicked her in her stomach making her spit out blood, "WHAT WERE THEY TO SAY OF ME! A NOBLE KING LIKE MYSELF WITH SUCH A WAYWARD CHILD!!"
Esme couldn't think, she felt herself slipping away 'what's happening?' she thought. "HOW DARE YO-" she closed her eyes into the peaceful nothingness.

*                 *                 *                  *                  *
Thanks for reading
What do you think?