The Summer After

"You know something I don't, it's not like you to be cold. Every night replayed over and over. You say things that I don't, you make me feel alone. Every night replayed over and over."

The familiar song I had heard many times before came on the radio and it was just another reminder of who I had left behind in that hotel room. Someone I could of been with right at this moment. I reached over and shut the radio off.

"Dude Madeline what is your deal?" I kept looking out of the window cigarette in hand ignoring the remark Kaiya had just made. I could feel her staring at me. But truth is she didn't know what happened last summer.

"I just don't like that song. That's all." Lie number one.

"Seriously?! This band is totally hot. Calum the bass player, oh my god, wow."

I clenched my jaw and I felt my heart break a little. "Yeah I don't see the big deal about him." Lie number two.

Kaiya had an obsession with 5 SOS and it was a little unhealthy. We had spent the whole summer lounging around my fathers mansion smoking weed and blasting their music while I pretended to enjoy it because I didn't want to upset her.

"Maddie you have no idea how lucky you are that your dad is the lead singer of Red Death. You get money, booze, and boys, and not to mention every single teenage girl wants to be you. I mean I know you haven't been at school since like 8th grade but everyone dresses like yo-."

I interrupted her. "Kaiya, stop. I could give one shit about my father, and his stupid band. I would do anything to have a normal life. I can't go anywhere without anyone following me or asking for my autograph. This is not something you want so please stop glamorizing my life because it's not as great as it seems."

She didn't reply, but just sat there and stared straight ahead eyes on the road. My dad was touring in Bristol and we left London a few hours ago. I was bringing her along because I promised she could meet the band opening for my dad, but I had no clue who they were yet. I would tag along with my dad for the rest of the tour and after tonight I wouldn't be seeing Kaiya for another 4 months.

"Kaiya I didn't mean to upset you, but I'm just tired of everyone saying they wish they were me. And they wish they had the life I had because it's a curse. Yeah some parts are fun, but others not so much. You get to see your dad and hangout with him. You get to have an actual Christmas tree at Christmas and not just some mini plastic tree that we put on the tour bus. You have a life and you have people that actually care about you. Kaiya you're the only real friend I've got."

She let out a big sigh and then she smiled. "I know, I just get carried away. I'm sorry. It's just I don't think you appreciate what you have and the influence you have over people."

She was right. But it's hard to appreciate the life you have when your dad is drunk all the time and can't even get out a full sentence. "Can we please just make these few days amazing because I won't see you for awhile and that's gonna suck."

She nodded her head and turned the radio back on. Royals was playing and that was Kaiya's favorite song.

"IVE NEVER SEEN A DIAMOND IN THE FLESH, I CUT MY TEETH ON WEDDING RINGS IN THE MOVIES. AND IM NOT PROUD OF MY ADDRESS IN THE TORN UP TOWN, NO POST CODE ENVY..." We turned the music on blast and sang along. And for a second I focused all my attention on Kaiya and Royals and the open road, and not on Calum.