Thanks Dad

We pulled up to the hotel and I went to check in while Kaiya got the luggage. This was just another high end hotel I had seen many times before and frankly I would be okay with just a middle class hotel with normal middle class people swimming in a normal middle class pool.

"OH my god this is amAzing!" I cringed as Kaiya walked in with her jaw wide open.

"Kaiya stop drooling.."

There was no one at the front desk so I sat and waited for quite awhile until it got ridiculous. I rang the bell and a tall, skinny, blonde with really deep red lipstick came out of the office behind the desk.

She gave a fake smile and said, "How can I help you?"

"I'm here to check in."

She cleared her throat and pointed outside. "Uhm yes the Motel 6 is across the street."

I narrowed my eyes at her and laughed. "No you don't understand, my father is Charles Luna. The lead singer of Red Death. Yeah sorry I'm not as glamorous as you think I should be but old band t-shirts and leggings work just fine for me."

She reached into a drawer and pulled out a key. "I'm so sorry."

"Yeah no, maybe have common courtesy and be nice to everyone instead of the ones who pay you."

I took the key from her and helped Kaiya put the bags in the elevator. She was still dazed by the hotel and I was pretty excited to see her reaction to the room my dad had booked us.

"I could get used to this." Kaiya had a huge smile on her face and nothing was ruining her mood. The hotel was super elegant. Marble pillars, marble floors, a grand marble staircase. All white. Glass chandeliers everywhere, a huge lobby with a fire place covered in little wood carvings. White leather couches and ottomans. The interior design was absolutely amazing. Definitely one of the nicer hotels I had been in.

"I guess this is one of the luxuries of being famous. Nice hotels and a lot of time to yourself."

We got off the glass elevator, which had a huge fish tank inside of it, and stepped onto the 12th floor. The hallway's walls were a pale yellow and decorated with expensive, boring, paintings and pictures. The floor's were a charcoal grey carpet with wavy lines accented into it. We reached the end of the hall and I handed the key to Kaiya.

"The honor is all yours madam."

She smiled and inserted the key into the lock. The door pushed open and revealed a big open living room with a huge hd flat screen tv mounted up on the wall above a marble fire place. The wall to the left of the tv was all window, and it overlooked the city. We had our own kitchen with granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances, along with a little dining table set for two.

Kaiya set her luggage down in complete amazement, mouth wide open. Without saying a word she walked to the master bedroom.

"I CALL DIBS ON THIS ROOM MADDIE!"

I couldn't help but laugh at how she was reacting to all of this. It's nice having a friend who enjoys the same experiences as you do.

"Kaiya settle down, you've got four days to live in the lapse of luxury, don't take it all in now. You have to slowly ease into it." I placed her luggage on the bed and proceeded to the bedroom on the other side of the living room. I unpacked my suitcase and hung the clothes up in the closet or placed them in drawers. I sat down on the bed and let out a huge sigh, pulling up my long brown ombréd hair into a ponytail. I threw off my Mayday Parade band t-shirt and my leggings, placed them in the dirty clothes and walked over to the closet. I pulled out my grey maxi skirt and white lace bustier and slipped on my golden Steve Madden sandals. I quickly touched up my makeup and grabbed a golden ring from my bag.

"Hey Kaiya," I said as I walked into the living room. "I'm gonna go look for my dad, I'll be back in like an hour or so."

She walked out of the bedroom dressed in the fancy complimentary robes the hotel had set in the suite. "Good luck with that sweetheart. You look great."

"Yeah thanks.. I'm gonna need it."

I grabbed the heart shaped key and put it on the necklace my mom gave to me before she died. I let my hair fall down my back and proceeded to the elevator. The 12 floor elevator ride seemed to last a lifetime and the classical music overhead didn't make it any better. The first place I headed to was the bar, because of course you would find Charles Luna drinking at 12 in the afternoon.

"Yes, excuse me. You haven't seen Charles Luna around here have you?"

The young bartender looked up from the drink she was making. "Oh my god you're Madeline Luna!"

I nodded my head and asked the same question. The bartender shook her head and pointed to a door across the bar. "He's in there, but I'm warning you security might not let you in. Nice to see you."

I smiled. "Thanks, you too." I reached over the bar and grabbed a water from the ice cooler and headed over to the door. Gentlemen's Club. The sign read. Fantastic. I opened the door and the bouncer immediately stopped me.

"Listen bud," I looked him up and down. "I'm gonna give you 10 seconds to tell me where my dad is or you will face the wrath of a 17 year old bitch, which from others' experiences will not be pleasant."

He cleared his throat and pointed to a closed curtain. "Thanks." I said.

I tried to walk as fast as I could, doing the best I could to look past the gawking men and naked women throwing cash around like it was last years fall wardrobe. I tried to prepare myself for what came next but I was already pretty good at handling situations like this since they happened on an everyday basis.

I ripped the curtain away. "Charles." My voice was flat and serious. He looked up from the drink he was drinking and shooed away the dancers.

"Yes Maddie?"

"Don't call me that." I spit at him. "It's Madeline. Can you stay sober for at least one day please. I don't think you realize that you've got a daughter to look after."

He stood up slowly and held onto the chair for support. "My dear, I do look after you, you've got a wonderful nanny."

I rolled my eyes at him and crossed my arms. "No, she left when I was 15. She couldn't stand your drunk ass."

His hair was shaggy and blonde and he looked pretty young for a 45 year old man. His blue eyes were my favorite thing about him. They looked pure and sometimes if you caught him at the right moment, they were happy. But that was a rare sighting.

"Ok well you've got a show in five hours Charles so if y-."

"Why are you calling me Charles," he interrupted. "it's dad."

"No. You're not a dad. You might be my father but you're not a dad. Dads look after their daughters and do their best to make sure they don't get into bad things they aren't supposed to. They pay attention to the stories their daughters share even if they aren't the least bit interesting. Dads don't sit at a gentlemen's club every night of their lives while their daughter is smoking weed in the parking lot with her best friend. And dads certainly don't allow their daughter to fuck at least one band member every night they open for you."

He reached his hand up and I felt a sharp pain in my cheek. I looked up at him and laughed. "That's another thing dads don't do." I turned around to walk away. "Your show is in five hours Charles." I yelled behind me.

As I walked away I felt hot tears swelling up and I was trying my hardest to hold it in until I reached the elevator. The walk across the lobby was super long and awkward because I felt like everyone was watching me as I held my cheek and bit my tongue to keep from crying. Once I was safe inside the elevator I let it all out. I didn't understand what I had done to make my dad not want to be with me. I mean he didn't even let me share the same room with him, it was always a different suite on a different floor. I ate dinner by myself every night. On my 16th birthday he came to my party drunk and threw up on the new car he had just bought me. It was a different thing everyday but it all ended up with the same outcome; passed out on the floor and hungover. I didn't understand why my mom had to leave us. It was all fine until she left. Didn't even say goodbye or anything. Just packed her bags and left while I was at school. I had grown up with a drunk father who didn't give a shit about me and I was raised by nannies that didn't stick around for more than a few weeks. All of this because my mom left.

I wiped my eyes as the elevator door opened and quickly rushed out, bumping into someone. I looked back to see who it was and I stopped in my foot steps.

"Maddie?!"

Shit.

"Calum."

My heart dropped and I could feel my face losing color. His face lit up like a christmas tree when he smiled. His chest was now covered in tattoos along with his arms and torso. His hair was a lot more shaggier and laid back and I actually liked it better than the mowhawk and I also noticed he had taken out his lip piercing.

"Hey, it's been awhile." I halfway smiled. My heart was ripping in half.

"Are you okay? Your eyes are a little red... and puffy."

I nodded my head. "Yeah yeah, I'm fine. I guess I'll see you tonight."

I turned around and walked back to my room.