Chapter IV. Invitation, Part II

One month and a half later, Kenji finally came from the Ontario Airport. He was wearing a jacket over a white tee, and baggy jeans. Once he passed the check-in and took back his luggage, he bought a snack.

After he went out the airport, Kenji waved his hand for a taxi to stop for him. The first ones were full of passengers. Some of the drivers stopped just to throw racist insults or taunts at him and leave like nothing happened.

Several hours passed as Kenji was still waiting and waving his hands for a taxi. When a taxi stopped. Not for the driver to insult him, but to offer his services. Kenji opened the door and entered with his luggage, then he entered.

"Where do you want me to drive you, sir?" said the driver.

"To San Bernardino, please." Kenji replied hastily.

After he answered, they left the airport quick. They began talking to take out boredom.

"What's your name, sir?" the driver asked with courtesy.

"Kenji Hashimoto. Nice to meet you," said Kenji.

"Mine's Eric Tanner. But you can call me Mr. Tanner," he replied with th "And tell me, what moved you to come here?"

"To visit a friend. He asked me to do something important for him," replied Kenji. "He told me that I will know when I go to his house."

"How interesting," muttered Eric as if he wanted to know. "And what's your friend's name, to be exact?"

"It's Munetaka Hayakawa," Kenji replied.

"Hmm... That's so interesting... But tell me, why didn't he told you before of that, if you are friends?," asked Eric

"I didn't ask for it, Mr. Tanner," Kenji wondered.

"Well, you are not the only one whose friends keep secrets to themselves," Eric replied. "Everyone else has secrets, secrets that they do not want to share, fearing the others' mock or hate," he added.

"So do you have secrets, too? Don't you feel uneasy about them? Don't you fear them being revealed?" Kenji asked.

"Yes, but we barely know each other, so no, no secrets. And yes, I feel uneasy, and yes, I have fear of that" Eric replied with a deep worry, trying to focus on the road to San Bernardino while talking.

"Well, sorry for that," replied Kenji while seeing sideways of the road.

"You're welcome, but let's talk about something else, alright? We've both got uncomfortable," Eric asked.

"Yes, Mr. Tanner. That was uncomfortable," Kenji replied.

After that conversation they skipped the current topic to talk about weather and roads.

Despite that choice, Kenji began to wonder in his mind, thinking about what Munetaka would do when he arrives. But he brushed it off.