Chapter Eleven: Details of the Past

The next day was a Saturday; I decided to have Clyde over. I called his home number and he picked up.

         “Hello?” he said.

         “Hey, it’s Marcie. I was wondering if you wanted to come over.”

         “Sure…uhhh…when?”

         “Like now-ish,” I replied.

         “Sure…I’ll be there like now-ish,”

         He was knocking on the door--like he always does--within ten minutes; he didn’t really live very far from my house so it was easy to do things like this.

         “Hey, Maggie said that Chad was going some where for like a week or two…do you know where?” Clyde didn’t seem to be listening, “Hey!”

He looked up at me and said “What? Oh sorry I zoned out there…say again.”

“I said that Maggie told me that Chad was going some where; I thought that you would know where.”

         “Oh, well I don’t know but I bet I could find out,” he replied.

         “Um…Clyde what were you thinking about?”

         “When?”

         “Just then…when you zoned out.”

         “Oh, um…nothing.”

         “You can’t not be thinking about something,” I stated.

         “Well then I was thinking about my parents; hoping and praying that they’re still live.”

I laid my head on his shoulder. “I’m sure they’re fine. If they are anything like you, then I’m positive that they are alive,” I tried my best to sound encouraging.

“Thanks,” he said, and kissed my head.

We sat there for a while and I decided to order some pizza for lunch. When I hung up and put the phone on the cradle, I walked to sit next to Clyde on the couch.

“Will it make you feel better if you told me what you know about the issue between France and your mom and dad?” I asked, I knew he would have to tell me some time…so why not now?

“I don’t know—“

“Please…” I begged.

“Fine. Did I ever tell you what France did to make the U.S.A spy agency so mad?” I shook my head back and forth.

“OK, well I’ll start there then. In 2006 the France spy Agency shipped 40 French citizens over to the United States. After at least one year they all had become U.S citizens and were a part of the U.S spy Agency. Chad and his father were a part of that group. Chad went into training in Oklahoma—the same year I did. Little did I know that he was a part of an evil French spy group—I mean I knew that he was a spy and all, but I had no idea that he was French. We became best friends the first day I was there. He was the only one I could talk to about my family and not have to tell him lies. Like I did with you. Then his father took him out of the camp and made him a part of the evil group. I was crushed I didn’t know what to do next. Meanwhile, his father, along with a group of French men and women, got into the U.S spy Agency quarters under the Statue of Liberty. They took out all of the information and after they were done they blew it up. The U.S spies were getting ready for all the hard work of cleaning the place up.” He was stuck I memories, I could tell in his face. 

“Thankfully, the station was far enough down it below the statue that the citizens didn’t notice the explosion. The only thing that the French never found out about was the Internal Bomb plan. An internal bomb is a bomb that you put under ground and is only recognized as a major earthquake.”

“So,” I replied. “are you going to up the bomb in the ground of France?”

“I guess so, but my dad doesn’t tell me anything.” He looked at the ground.

“Well, maybe not telling you is for the best.” I suggested.

“No, it would be better if he just told me.”

“Now you know how I feel!” I said.

“What are you talking about?” He asked, looking at me strangely.

“You haven’t told me anything truthful since the first time we met!”

“Yes…oh I’m sorry…it’s just hard I’ve been so used to not telling the truth that it just comes easily now.” His eyes dropped back to the floor.

“That’s OK. I just want you to tell me the truth…from now on. Deal?”

“Deal.” He agreed.

“OK then,” I said, changing the subject. “Is there any thing else about the bomb that you know about?”

“Nothing other than it’s very dangerous and it doesn’t affect any where else in the world, but Europe.”

“That’s it really. Well at least you’re not like your dad.”

“Why?”

“‘Cause he never ever tells the real truth,” I regretted every word I said in that entire sentence.

“Oh my god! I can’t believe you said that! He does to tell me…most of the truth.” He yelled.

“Sorry…I guess it just slipped.”

         “Yeah, it did just slipped!” He marched out of the room.

“Clyde,” I spoke his name softly. “I’m sorry.” I went up to hug him, but he refused.

“Oh, C’mon Clyde.”

“What?” his voice was so full of anger I frightened me.

“Please…tell me more…I want to know.”

“Fine, what do you want to know?”

         “Anything that’s in you’re thinking about.”

“OK, well…I was thinking about you and me and I don’t want you to die and if you’re going to help me there is a huge possibility that that is going to happen, and what would I do without you,” I laid my head on his shoulder.

“That is not going to happen,” I told him in full confidence.

“But, what if—“

“What if could mean anything…what if I lived… what if your parent were never spies? The list could go on and on.”

We were silent sitting on the floor leaning up against the wall. I laid my head back on his shoulder and he kissed it. I looked up and kissed his lips.

“I’m sorry…I love you,” I continued to kiss him.

“I better go,” he said, pulling away from my arms. He got up and held out his hand. I took it and pulled myself up. He walked to the door and said goodbye and I watched as the red Mustang pulled out of my driveway and drove away.

I went up stairs to finish my homework. When I did I heard my mother come in the front door.

         “Hey, mom!” I said racing down the stairs.

         “Hey, hon’.”