01

I looked across the streets, watching the freshman make fools of themselves, smoking, trying to act cool, pushing each other, screaming and swearing so loud I could hear them. They made me realize how stupid me and my friends were two years ago.

I made my way to the cafe about two or three blocks away from CCF. The bad deal is that students shouldn't be allowed to leave the internship after 6:00. The good deal is that the waitress and owner of the cafe is a good friend of mine. Being the oldest sister of this dude I used to like, got us into a closer mostly like best friends relationship. When this dude and I broke up, her sister and I stayed as friends. She is much older than me, I am just nineteen and she is twenty two. Although this 'not' huge difference, it doesn't make us any different, she is very childish anyways.

I took a seat in front of the bartender stand and waited for someone to come up with an idea to cheer me up. I was impressed she was working today, Noah -another friend of mine- usually works the whole week off and then she comes back on Monday evenings.

"Give me a beer." I said, and Danielle, who was drying glasses, gave me a dirty look instead. "Fine," I said brightly. "Give me a Pepsi."

"Your credit is going up." Danielle said. "Have you got cash?"

"All I order here is coffee and Pepsi. Pepsi is fifty cents and coffee, the same."

"You got already seven Pepsi's charged this week." She said unsure.

"C'mon, college starts in two days." I pouted.

"You should pay anyways." She says again.

"I promise I'll pay. I've been looking for a job this week, since dad got sick we spent all our dimes on his lung operation." I said while playing with the corner of one of the empty glasses.

"What about Calum, isn't he looking for a job too?" I shriek. All the fights my brother got into, which were many, got him into a big trouble with the cops. They've been looking for him since starts of February and there's no way he can find a job without someone calling the police.

"I'm all alone in this, he's got problem with the cops." I pressed my lips into a thin line as I took another sip of my drink.

"Hey, Styles." Danielle called, "I saved the last portion of waffles if you still want them." She grabbed another glass. Harry, who had been playing pool came up and sat down next to me.

"Yeah thanks." His voice comes out as more of a squeak.

"Someone's happy today?" I playfully add.

"I got straight C's on my report, that's a record." He looked at me proudly.

"I failed three courses last semester, got suspended two times and almost expelled. I guess this is a fresh start for me."

"You're intelligent enough. What happened?" I just gave him a punch on the shoulder. He grinned at me, but absently, like he was thinking of something else.

"I'm lazy, that's all."

"I'm just as lazy as you and I passed them all." That bugged the heck out of me. Harry always bragging of things like that. He had lived near my house since I was nine and since his father left my mother and hers felt sorry for him so he ended up living with me. He always has this wide-eyed, intent, trusting look that everyone is afraid of, but when you get to know him you will know that his tattooed appearance has nothing to do with his personality. Sometimes he smiled, and when he did it was great. He was an awful nice guy even if he was a little strange. He had big green eyes and curly light charcoal-colored hair which was always pulled behind. He mostly wore an old army jacket that was too big for him and that only pair of boots he keeps.