Chapter 8

I reached the lab. No one was there. Nothing was there. It was just all dark and empty. There was signs that a lab of some sort was here. There were stains on the floor and burns in the wall. The only thing in the room now was a chest with two locks. I tried to open it to see if it was unlocked in any way. I took out my phone and turned on the light so I could see better. A door was slightly open on the north wall. I went over to it and pushed it open, going inside and looking around. It's only inhabitant was a note taped to the wall.

There are ten of them and they know if this location. I have left. I kept the chest in the main room because only you and I have the key. I thank you for doing these experiments with me, and I thank you for your contribution to the study. I hope to work with you in the future.

~M

I went out of the room and saw the chest gone, I quickly wheeled over and saw someone in full black running down the pipe. I tried to follow but they were too fast. I stopped and held out my hand. The chest was pulled back and dropped on the floor. I moved my hand over to the figure, which tied their shoes together and made them trip. I quickly wheeled to them and took the box, placing it on my lap.

"Give it back." a females voice said.

"Who are you?" I said, full of confidence.

"Do you want to see your friends again?" She said, not lifting her head. I looked around. I didn't see any of the people with powers.

"Where did you take them?" I wheeled back.

"Give me the chest."

"What's in here?"

"Oliver please." She undid the knot in her lace and stood.

"How do you know my name?"

"Subject 02. I command you-"

"Stop this." I demanded. She fell to the floor. Jenny was behind the figure. She put away her wand and ran to me. I explained what happened and she brought me back into the lab, casting every reveal spell she could remember. By the end, nothing showed up.

"Marina...!? Veela!?" I yelled. No answer.

"Oliver..."

"Killian? Rose!? Jamie??!" I said, wheeling around the room, a frog forming in my throat. Jenny said something but I couldn't hear her. She took hold of my chair and I felt a tear slide down my face. I looked down and sniffled.

"They aren't here. The reveal spell would have told us."

"Then where are they?"

"I don't know, but we'll find them." She said, going back to my house.

We entered the house and my mum walked over to us.

"You're home early." I observed.

"We have company." She said. I froze and Jenny did too. I walked with her to the living room where Mason was.

"Thank you, miss. Can you leave us alone?" Mason smiled that charmingly brilliant smile and my mum nodded. I looked at him oddly.

"Looks like you found new friends." He scoffed.

"Looks like you became an asshole." I put on my breaks and Jenny stood beside me.

"Looks like you didn't want to tell your own boyfriend that you came home." He crossed his arms and looked at Jenny.

"Looks like you didn't want to tell me that you were conducting the experiment that paralyzed your best friend."

"Ex-best friend."

"Really? When did that happen?"

"When he became an asshole." He slapped me with magic.

"Hey wh-"

"Subject 02." He scoffed. We stood silent.

"Who was in the tunnel today?"

"Someone."

"Tell me." I said.

"Hey, isn't it funny that you get a power that makes other things stand, but you can't stand yourself? You know, in both ways." He smirked. I held out my hand and blasted him against the wall.

Jenny ran over and grabbed the necklace on his neck. She walked backwards to be beside me. He stood up and straightened out his jacket.

"Give it back, Jen." He sighed.

"Who was it in the pipe?" She said. He sighed.

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you."

"Who was it?" I said, firmly.

"Amber." He said. Jenny froze, I looked at her.

"Who's Amber?" I whispered. Mason saw her defense fall as he snatched the necklace out of her hand and ran out of the open window. Jenny sat down on the couch.

"He got the necklace." She whispered. "I'm sorry." She looked down. "That I'm a master planner." She took out the necklace from her pocket.

"Jenny!" I laughed and took it. In my hand was a key on a string, I brought it to the chest which I put on the table and inserted the key. I turned it and....

"Locked, great." Jenny looked away and went to sit on the couch. I tried the other lock and it popped open.

"Oh shit." She stood up and walked over. "Keep the key safe, nerd." She said, walking out of the room. I turned and wheeled over to her.

"Who's Amber?" I asked.

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you."

"Jen, come on."

"Okay... she's my mother." there was a silence as I waved away thoughts in my head, but I said,

"That can't be, she's dead."