Chapter 9

Jenny left the house and I was sitting in the middle of the floor. I wheeled over to the kitchen where my mum was. "Oliver..." she said, turning and hugging me.

"Mum, today 8 people went missing going into the same place. When I went there, they weren't anywhere to be found and I don't know what to do."

"It's okay, hon." She sat on a chair. "Wanna talk about it?" I shook my head.

"Go get some rest. I'll bring you dinner in your room." I wheeled into my room and put myself on my bed. I fell asleep.

I didn't wake up until the next morning. Cold spaghetti was on my bedside table, probably from dinner. I got up and got dressed, wheeling into the kitchen.

"Mum?" I asked, looking around. She wasn't working today. At least, not in the morning. The doorbell rang. I went over to the door and opened it. David stood there, out of breath.

"Da-"

"Oliver! They- he has Jenny..." He swallowed and leaned against the door frame.

"What?"

"The guy... He has Jenny... Took her to Ridge Point." He panted.

"David, come on." I wheeled to his car and he helped me in, putting my chair in the back and getting in on the other side. He started the car and drove.

We got to Ridge Point half an hour later, where David helped me out of the car and into my wheelchair, we went to the small opening. It was where we guessed they would be. It was originally a hideout where teenagers would go to make out. It was a perfect place for a small lab, except for the fact it was way out of the way of the town. David and I went in to see the people with powers had their hands tied between their backs. My guess is they were sleeping. God, I hope they're only sleeping. I went to race to Marina, but David stopped me. "It could be a trap." He said. I went a couple inches and looked around. When it was safe, I went further. Something blasted me to the wall, knocking me out of my chair and making me immobile. I attempted to turn myself around, that's when I heard a sickening crunch. I looked to where the sound came from and David was against the corner, clutching his left arm. It was broken, and most likely couldn't be healed. A woman stepped into the cave, looking at her prizes.

"Amber." I shifted.

"So you do know me?" She laughed.

"Don't do this, you don't need to hurt these people. Don't hurt your children."

"My children who are gay, a witch and a runaway?" She walked up to me. I blasted her back, but I couldn't move. David stood up and ran to his mother, tackling her. Once on her, she shoved him off and suddenly there were two of them there. The first David pushed her and the second David started untying people. She got angry and looked around, only to be pushed by David again. He woke everyone up while he was untying. She got angry and took out a knife, stabbing the duplicate that was pushing her. David hurried up, but he was almost done. I pushed her back with my magic to let them go. Marina ran to me and tried to pick me up. They could go and plan an attack.

"Marina go." I said.

"I'm not just going to leave you." She tried again. Amber stood up and grabbed Jamie, who duplicated and pushed her off. The duplicate disappeared and he ran with the others out.

"I'm not going to leave you!" She said firmly.

"Marina! GO!" I commanded. She looked around and started running with the group. I felt a tear go down my face, seeing them all leave. Amber didn't go after them. She had a better prize right in front of her.

I couldn't get to my wheelchair and I couldn't move at all. I was the perfect specimen.

"You're tainted. I don't know by what, it could be the serum..."

"It could be that I'm different from the rest."

"And how could you be different?"

"I love someone." I blasted her back and brought my chair to me, I hoisted myself up while still having her frozen. I got in and quickly got out of the cave, unfreezing her and leaving them behind.

I wheeled back to my house to be greeted by Marina. Everyone else was there too, and I quickly wheeled over to them.

"David." I sighed in relief. "What are you holding?"

"Well, I thought we might need this for the future." He held out a key on a chain. He smiled wide and my eyes lit up.

"You're a genius." I went over to the box.

"Is everyone ready?" Jenny smiled. They all nodded with smiled and hopeful looks . He inserted the key and turned it. The lid opened to reveal lab equipment and chemicals. I took some of them out. "What the f-"

"These are all what made us who we are." Marina said. I paused. I wheeled back.

"We need to find them and we need to be the ones to end these experiments." I said, firmly. The doorbell rang and Marina went to go open it. We all sat down on couches and some sat on the floor as we talked about it. Marina came back in the room with a pale face and another box. Veela took the box and put it on the table. She opened it to reveal 10 syringes labeled cure. We all looked at each other.

"We can cure ourselves?"

"What are we waiting for?" Killian grabbed a syringe. I took the syringe from him.

"This is our way out. Just because you know your legs are not going to be cured doesn't mean the rest of us can't be." Killian walked up to me and looked down. "So give me my syringe." My heart felt like it broke. It was a possibility that it would happen. No, I knew it would happen. I handed the needle to Jenny who was beside me. She put it back in the box and closed it. She took over as the leader. "We have to stop mu-" she paused. "Mason and Amber, before they do another experiment on someone else."

"We'll use the syringe later and-"

"Wait." Marina said. "The note said there are nine of them. Mina, Rose, Jacob, Killian, Freddy, Veela, me, Jamie and Oli.  The thing is, I wasn't a part of that note, because he was writing it in his room the night he took me to his lab." Mina looked at Rose, unsure of what this meant.

"So there's another person." Freddy said, looking at me.

"When Mason talked to me he said I was Subject 02, so there was someone before me." I looked around at them. David, who was beside Jamie, spoke up.

"I am the first specimen."