Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One 

So. 

Jamie. Julien.

Jamie and Julien.

Julien and Jamie.

Hmm.

His birthday was in a few week's time, on February the 28th. Lucky asshole, he managed to miss the leap year day. What should I get him? 

When I woke up after that night I realized that whether or not Julien had tried to make things up to me and earn my trust back bit by bit, there is no way in hell I'd last more than a month of it, and if he asked at the right time I would've said yes.

Two weeks after our first date in...a long time, we were at the park and walking around enjoying our yoghurt ice cream. Mine was apple-passionfruit and his was plain old chocolate. I'd ordered for us both, quietly delighting that he hadn't changed all that much on the inside.

"So," I said casually as I narrowly avoided a skilled but hyper six year old on rollerblades practically flying down the pebble walkway. "Your birthday's coming up soon."

"As is yours," was his smart remark, that was paired with a smirk. "I know what you're going to ask, and the answer is no, there is nothing you could get me that I want." 

I gaped at him, until he picked up the heaped plastic spoon laying forgotten in my slowly melting ice cream and stuffed it in my mouth. Sucking on it, I muttered, "That's not entirely true," and studiously ignored him stiffen beside me. Yup, you know what I'm talking about. "Anyway," I continued like I was oblivious to his discomfort, "I wanted to ask if you were throwing a party of something."

As he dodged a couple who obviously didn't ride often stumble their way by the side on expensive looking, competition-level bicycles, he answered, "Yeah. I'm not going to invite you. 'Cause like it or not, I will go through extreme lengths to make sure you're there."

I laughed, making him smile. I usually hate my weird laugh that could sound like a wheezing cat, but seeing him smile and grin like that made my heart lift. God, Julien, I thought. In the one month you've been doing this, look how far we've come, look how sure I am of my feelings for you. I just hope you are, too.

The last thought was sullen and depressing, so I quickly changed the topic. "Okay, now I will ask you what you want..."

He snorted derisively, interrupting me and forcing a choke of a laugh out as I heaped another spoon and savoured it. "I told you," he said, glaring at me and tossing his quickly devoured ice cream into the bin. "there's nothing you could buy for me."

"Oh, come on, Julien!" I sighed exasperatedly. "There has to be something within my budget. I mean, come on, you're so stinking rich you probably avoid all the stuff normal people buy anyway, so you're missing out on some really good shit!"

"Stinking rich?" he repeated, raising an eyebrow at me and smiling quirkily. "Really good shit? I doubt it."

"Oh, really?" I retorted sarcastically. "You don't spend 200 something on a suckish graphic tee at, at Topman or something when you can get a nicer one for a quarter the price."

His eyebrow rose higher, but I avoided his gaze and ate my ice cream quietly, looking anywhere but him. "You know I don't do graphic tees."

"A normal t shirt then, damn it!" I scolded, waving my spoon in front of his face and brandishing it fiercely. "I need to get you something!"

He chuckled humorlessly. "You already have that something," he replied quietly, then switched mood again with a self satisfied smirk. "I already got your present."