Chapter Twenty-Five

Chapter Twenty-Five

You say good morning when it's midnight

Going out of my head alone in this bed

I wake up to the sunset

And it's driving me mad, I miss you so bad

So we were trying to sing the song as its original version first, and then we'll wrangle it into the cover. So far, it was going better than expected. Our voices still blended perfectly into each other, and as we sung we looked at each other with silly grins and sparkly eyes that said, 'I love you.'

And it was the amazing thought that we actually did that made me sing the song with so much more passion.

We were both sitting across each other in his living hall of a room, me on his bed and him on the spinning chair he used for his desk. As we finished - with some difficulty regarding the original harmony - he looked at me with a funny grin. "Can't believe we're doing this again," he murmured, setting his song sheet aside to gaze at me with an unreadable expression.

I managed a small smile as my head was bombarded by unpleasant memories. He seemed to notice my eyes darken into near black, because his expression changed to that of a worried one, and he leaned forward to touch my lips with his gently. When he pulled back, he held my chin and whispered, "I love you."

My smile widened, making him all the happier as I kissed him back and repeated his words. He took my hands into his and pulled me to his lap, where I snuggled comfortably as he held me. "I have to ask you something," he said slowly. His chest thrummed with his heartbeat and his words.

"Mm?" was all I could say as my eyelids closed halfway of their own accord. He was just too damn comfortable. And no, it did not help when he kissed my forehead either.

"Prom is three weeks after the talent show," he continued carefully. I could feel more than see his intense gaze at me even through my closed eyes. Opening my mouth to answer takes too much effort, I decided, and closed my eyes against his warm neck.

His arms tightened around me as he shook me gently. "Jamie, I know you're not asleep," he stated dryly, and I choked out a laugh through a grin.

"I will be soon, at the rate you're talking," I muttered, pulling out my hairtie and letting my long brown hair cascade down my back. At least now if I fall asleep I won't have to wake up with possibly the worst bed hair of my life.

"I wanna ask if you'll go with me," he said quickly. My eyes snapped open and I pulled away slightly to stare at him. His hair was in a mess as usual, his lovely brown eyes soft and questioning, but his lower lip was being stabbed by his front teeth.

"You're cute when you're nervous," I blurted out, then paled and gave myself a mental face-palm at my irritating habit of voicing my thoughts. Shaking my head, I pulled his lower lip free from his front teeth. "Don't do that."

"Will you go with me? Please," he added quietly, looking at me hopefully.

See, it's not that I don't want to go with him. As I've mentioned before, I didn't like dressing up. My daily wardrobe was a tshirt and jeans. Prom was the time to show off curves, looks, money and your date. Julien was going to look hot as hell, and I...well. If reputation wasn't so important to me I'd still show up in varsity. Not to mention contending with Jessica.

My face screwed up in disgust. God, did I hate her! She was still throwing her fake boobs into Julien's face, in front of me even, and shaking her hips so very unnecessarily vigorously when he was around. It didn't help that her wardrobe policy was tight and revealing as possible. My only consolation was that Julien loudly cracked jokes about her and then apologized to me later, telling me that he loves me and all that.