Chapter 29: Peeta

PeetaPOV: I heard the shouts of Four and Katniss around me but I was frozen in place, unable to move even my eyelids to open. Then, a tiredness grew over me and the voices faded away as a scene grew before me. A young boy who looked to be about eight sat before me in a plain room with gray sheets on a square bed, and a plain wooden desk with a wooden chair at which he sat, his shoulders and head hunched forward in defeat and failure. That's Four, I thought. I could tell by his similar dark hair and deep blue eyes, but that's where he resemblance stopped. His snarky sarcastic attitude was replaced with fear and desperation. Then, a man came in the room an stood over him with a hard glare that seemed maniacal. "You know I do love you tobias." he said with truth in his cruel voice, "this is only for your own good" then he whipped his belt from his pants and brought it down hard just as tobias turned his head. It fell on his back buckle first and he let out a deafening yowl of undeniable pain. Then the vision blurred and was replaced by another. It was some sort of ceremony. Tobias walked to a large bowl and cut his wrist over one full of fire. This must have been some sort of shock because the entire crowd gasped and was engulfed in the whispers. The word Dauntless burned behind my eyes. That's what tris said she was right? I realized the visions I was getting were from Fours life. It then flashed to different scenes from what I guess was some initiation. First place. Turning down a head position because he was divergent. Deciding to leave. Meeting Tris. Falling in love. The rebellion of the Erudite. Losing so many loved ones. Losing tris. All the way up until coming here and Tris kissing me. The feeling of jealousy. I sat and watched it all happen like a patron at a theatre. Once it was over I sat straight up and my eyes shot open as I stared Katniss straight in the face. All I could say was "Four."