Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

I was currently sitting on a red faux leather couch, a pillow balanced on my lap with a steaming mug of tea held in one hand. Sarah, Sophie and Callum’s mum, was busying herself in the kitchen, getting biscuits out from one of the many cupboards in the tiled room, leaving me to sit here, rather awkwardly, on my own.

I took the time to have another glance around the room, noticing the small, faded stains on the cream coloured carpet. It was a risky move - to have a light carpet with young children. It’s kind of a recipe for disaster, though I’ll give Sarah credit for getting the stains out so well. I’d also give her credit for keeping the house so tidy.

Sarah had already questioned Sophie about the events of the day, and apparently, I was next in line for an interrogation - or…interview as some might call it. Most people don’t tend to go back to work for around six months or so after the surgery, but I figured that it had been long enough - three months to be exact, and that if I was already at school, looking after a little kid every now and then wouldn’t hurt. Especially not if I was going to get paid for it!

That’s why I was sitting here - now facing Sarah - both of us holding steaming mugs of tea (because coffee tastes like a bucket of warm mud) with a plate of dwindling chocolate digestives on a plate on the table between us. Sarah told me only one rule so far: you must dunk the biscuits in tea. I was happy to oblige. But it was time to get serious.

“So, full name please?”

For some reason, I felt the need to clear my throat before answering. I had tea to lubricate my throat, but it was still clogged up. Blame it on the nerves if you will. “Rosie Lee Carter.”

“Age?”

“Seventeen.”

“Tell me a little about yourself.”

“Erm.” Choose you words careful, Rosie! “Well, I’d say: funny, lively, friendly, kind, hardworking. I can be quite intuitive, and like to use my common sense, even if I turn out to be wrong…”

The back and forth of question and answers continued on like this for some time. By the end of half an hour, I had been asked everything from ‘favorite colour’ to ‘did I have any previous addictions to any drugs’. Oh, and I had also ran out of tea and biscuits. All in all, I felt like it went well, all I had to do now was talk to the kids for a bit - I found it quite funny that Callum was still a kid in his mother’s eyes. And I also had to get consent from my parents after proof of my address. Getting my Mum to agree to this was sure going to be a fun task. Hopefully the sarcasm was evident. I decided instead, to give her Daniel’s details.

Dude better get me the job after all of this. Sarah could be a police woman, the way she grills you.

“So yeah, just get some proof of address, letters from the bank would be alright, and then get your brother to call me to provide reference and his consent, and I’ll definitely officially consider you for the job.” She smiled brightly at that, as if it was a major achievement. To me, it wasn’t an achievement until I got the job, but I’ll take what I can get for now.

“Oh, and I’ll just get Sophie and Callum down to see if they like you.”

I gulped at this. I didn’t just swallow thickly, I actually gulped. That’s how bad the situation was; I was certain it was going to take a turn for the worse now. Number one reason for that: Callum isn’t my biggest fan.

Understatement.

Callum still hates me because ‘someone died to keep me alive’. I’m sure that’s the only reason why he doesn’t like me very much. Seriously, what’s not to love?