Chapter Twenty Three

It's been a week. A whole week without him. I'd told Tasha, who in turn had told everyone else who asked. Saved me from the heart ache of telling the story countless times. I didn't really sit with them during lunch times, and if I did, it was highly uncomfortable. But, Tasha sat there with me, so it's only fair that I at least tried to return the favour.

Despite how awkward things were during the fifty minutes, I could sit next to other people, now that the news was out. That was a relief in itself. It meant that I didn't have to sit pressed up against him.

Thing was: I still missed him. I'd seen how cruel he was to his family, making his little sister cry. He had reverted right back to the bratty boy I had first met when I was in hospital. But I still couldn't stop caring about him. I still got to know the real Callum, I fell in love with the real Callum. And, even though he'd crushed my heart, I still love the real Callum.

It didn't make much sense to me. He started out as a total douche, turned into a nice guy, then went right back to square one: doucheville.

Even though I'd given up on having a stable, real relationship with him, I still wished that he could stay the happy version of himself. Usually, he'd still be happy with his friends, no matter how frosty he was with me. However, now, he was just as quiet and harsh with his friends and family as he was to me.

It was enough to drive anyone mad, I couldn't even wrap my brain around how he was capable of being moody and grumpy with everyone. Callum's friends were a funny bunch, yet he never cracked a smile, and those eyes remained stony.

I think I may have made things worse. Yesterday, I received a text from him. He told me that he had some news and wanted to talk. I knew that I wouldn't have been able to deal with seeing him one on one, face to face. So I chickened out, told him that I didn't want to talk to him, there was nothing to talk about. Anything he had to say was probably pointless anyway.

It wouldn't be worth the emotional stress.

He tried to call, but I ignored him, I'd become quite an expert at evading him. He wasn't impressed by it though, it only annoyed him further.

I had to babysit tonight, but was hoping to get there after he went out. He'd been going 'out' practically every day. Not even Tom knew where he was going, or what he was doing. I definitely thought that he would know, but it seemed as if even he had taken a small step back from his not-so-friendly friend.

I figured it was best to leave him to his own devices. Let him brew in his bitterness. I didn't want any of it directed at me again, thought it was the wisest option for me to just back off – as much as I could considering I'd had to babysit twice the past week. I'm sure that his parents were well aware of our current situation, yet they hadn't got rid of me. For that, I was rather happy. I didn't enjoy being in the same house as Callum, but I did like hanging out with Sophie. It was nice to give her a bit of a break from Callum. It was clear that Callum's relationships between his friends and family were straining a little.

I was babysitting tonight, and was early even though I had walked. By now, I was used to him opening the door and turning away before he could see me at all. I was used to the familiar pull in my chest every time I saw him, how it felt like barbed wire was wrapped around it when he ignored me, spoke to me in that awful tone. I was used to missing him.

I did the usual: knock three times and waited patiently for the door to open. Nothing happened. I huffed out a breath in annoyance, and knocked again, feeling impatient, and not wanting to stand outside with the grey clouds, heavy with rain, hanging above me. It was cold enough, I didn't want to add a spring shower to it. Though, it would match my mood rather aptly.