⚾️.4

I haven't updated for a while.. BUT ENJOYY!!

  "Your old man is coming back?" Benny asked, on our way to the sandlot.

  I nodded.

I watched the sky while on our way. Benny told me they had a game night every Fourth of July. The fireworks already bursted while the way there.

  Ham put on his hat and curiously sputtered, "Well, tell us! What's he like?"

  "He's..." I began, scratching my chin.

I didn't know what to say. I did not know how to it into words. He was a confident guy but there was definitely more.

"Well?" Benny shrugs.

"I actually don't know.." I admitted with a sigh.

Ham's eyes went wide. "What? You mean you don't know who your dad is?! You're killing me, Brookes!"

"Easy now," Benny warned Ham.

"Well I don't know how to say it, but I do know he has love for Baseball," I irritatedly began stomping ahead of them two. "He has a whole collection of these stuff and coaches it in New York."

  "Woah!" Ham said.

  Benny grinned and followed. "He sounds cool to me."

"What took y'all so long?" De'Nunez asked, while tossing the ball back and forth with his mitt.

"Yeah yeah!" said Yeah-Yeah, jumping. "I would've been sleeping already if it didn't took you long enough."

"Oh shut it Yeah-Yeah," nagged Squints.

  Bertram smacked his glove. "Let's just get to the game now, alright guys? Play some ball."

  Benny stood by the home plat and prepared to bat. When the ball came to him, he smacked a hit and the fireworks bursted just in time. We all were too dazed to be focused on the game.

***

  The next afternoon, we practiced batting for a while then started the game. Benny made a hard hit and we all rushed to get him out. Of course he managed to get passed us.

  While everyone headed to praise him, I stayed at my exact spot and only gave him a thumbs up.

  "Oh noooo!" Squints suddenly groaned.

  We all faced him to see what the deal was. There was a group of guys in baseball outfits riding their bikes into our lot. Everyone dropped their gloves and stomped over to them.

  Benny grabbed a bat from the ground and marched there with a dirty look on his face.

  I whispered, "Hey Benny! Who are those guys?"

  "Jerks," replied Benny. "Stay cool."

I nodded and stayed behind the crowd.

The blonde kid in the front swore, "Yeah, it's easy when you play with a' bunch of rejects and uh' fat kids, Rodriguez."

"Shut your mouth, Phillips!" Benny shot back.

Ham growls, "What'd you say, crapface?!"

"I said, you shouldn't even be allowed to touch a baseball," he declared. "Except for Rodriguez here, you're all an insult to the game!"

"Caa'mon!" Ham shouted. "We'll take you on, right here, right now! C'mon!"

Everyone cheered along but I remained silent.

"We play on a real diamond, Porter." scoffed the Phillips guy. "You ain't good enough to lick the dirt off our cleats!"

"WATCH IT, JERK."

"Shut up, idiot!"

"Moron!"

"Scab Eater!"

"Butt sniffer!"

"Puss licker!"

"Fart smeller!"

We all had laughed and Bertram had mocked him with sniffing the air.

Phillips flared his eyes and shot, "You eat dog crap for breakfast, geek!"

"You make your wheaties with your mama's toe jam!" Ham shot back.

"Yeah!!" we cheered.

"You bob for apples in the toilet! And you like it!"

Ham grunted slowly and bursted, "YOU PLAY BALL LIKE A GIRRRL!"

Everybody gasped, and it remained a moment of silence, mostly for Phillips and me. I was a girl. It was like they forgot I was there.

Benny looked at me and knew. "Ham..!"

"I-I'm a girl," I told him.

Ham faced me, along with the other guys. They were quiet. The boys in baseball outfits began snickering.

"And who do we have here? A girl?" Phillips slightly sneered. "No wonder you're all insults.."

  "No," Ham insisted. "She can play. Real good! She'd beat you."

  "A girl can beat me?" Phillips peered at me and sassed, "Can you, really?"

  "Her name's Emily!" yelled Benny.

  His boys snickered and got on their bikes, making their way out. I only clenched my fists and Benny set a palm on my shoulder to calm me.

  Before they could leave, I answered, "YEAH! I bet I can."

  Phillips stopped his bike, and so did his boys. He looked alarmed. Benny and Ham cheered me on.

  "What'd you say?" warned Phillips.

  Ham swore, "You heard her."

  Phillip tucked his chin and said, "Tomorrow. Noon, at our field. Be there, buffalo-butt breath."

  "Count on it, pee-drinking crapface!"

  All the boys seemed angered and challenged. As they departed ways, mutters of insults spurred.

  "So what now?" I asked Benny.

  "Come with me, Brookes. We got a game they're expecting tomorrow," he said.

I remained with a grin and followed Benny.

tbc ~~~~~~~~~~~~
The next chapter will be the game against Phillips! I'll try to stay updated!! Thanks for motivating me guys.