Chapter Three

ob·sess

əbˈses /VERB

1. preoccupy or fill the mind of (someone) continually, intrusively, and to a troubling extent.

2 weeks later

Clarissa hadn't gone to school since the accident. She has sat in the attic in her house almost every day. At night she would beat herself up. She had bruises from throwing herself down the stairs, no one in her house seemed to notice. Her parents didn't particularly care about a high school education. They knew if she didn't graduate that she would marry a wealthy man, she was beautiful. She really didn't know what to do with herself, she had gone off the deep end and there was no one that could save her.

It was a Thursday afternoon as she currently laid in her room while the nanny and her little sister were at the store. She was tired and wanted to rest in her own bed. Before she could get too comfortable she heard her door bell ring. Normally someone else would answer but she decided she would. It was probably some missionaries or something. They rang the door bell again and she grunted. Slowly getting out of her bed she grunts in pain. She walks to her door and then slowly down the stairs and to the door. She was covered in bruises and her skimpy pajamas made sure you could see everything.

Opening the door her bored expression turned to surprised. James stood at the door with roses. The roses were almost dead but it was a cute gesture. He thrust the flowers in her hand and looks to the ground. He was nervous, again. A smile crept to Clarissa's face as she smelled the roses. They had smelt like a boys room more than they did flowers. That meant he had been holding onto them for awhile and she hadn't been at school so he came to her.

Clarissa stepped to the side and gestured for the quaterback to come in. He slowly walked in avoiding eye contact. She found him unreasonably adorable.

"You did'nt have to," she said, her voice sounding foreign even to her due to lack of speaking for the past two weeks.

He looked up at her and his face scrunched up in confusion. Realization hit her as she tried to cover up her bruising. She looked like a battered wife.

"What happened?" He asked her fully concerned.

"Oh I fell down from the roof, yeah I was helping my nanny with some painting," her lying was horrible and James could see right through it even if he hadn't seen her just the sound of her voice gave it away but he had decided to ignore it.

He was on a mission and he wasn't about to back out because of a little lie. She seemed to be perfectly happy and content with his company and that made him happier. She was still beautiful with her bruised face. He stared at her for a few minuets till her smile faded and she looked a little freaked out.

"Are you here for something?" She asked in a higher tone.

"Oh right, I came here to tell you something," his voiced cracked a little as he nervously laughed.

"Well go on," she said while leaning up against the door looking at the flowers, her face showed her boredom.

Clearing his throat he looked at the floor then up at her, he wasn't sure where to start.

"I love you," he said it fast to make sure he got it all out, catching both of them off guard.

"You what?" Clarissa asked standing up straight, even though she was sure she heard him, she just wanted to make sure.

Her face showed her emotions clearly. She was confused and scared.

"I love you," he tried one more time but slower.