Chapter THREE

*If this chapter sucks I'm sorry. It feels like I rushed it.*

Lanelle's P.O.V.

I walked out the school gate to see Trey standing in the front like he has been for the past few months. On the days my parents didn't pick me up, he would be there standing with something for me and a smile.

Today I didn't tell my parents that I was getting out early so I can have time away from home. It seemed like the only people who cared for me was the kids at school and Trey.

I walked up to him and saw he had fries (my favorite) and something to drink for me. We sat on the school stairs and ate our food. I thought how after the fight at my old school, things at home were getting bad to where I didn't like being there. I tried to look happy while I was with Trey but it was difficult.

"Can I get a smile?" I looked up to see Trey in my face demolishing a burger. He was able to sneak a smile through a mouthful of food which made me laugh.

Once his food was down he looked at me, "you know when you smile, I smile?"

"Shut up wit yo soft ass," we laughed but I could tell that he was serious.

"Nell," he noticed my face expression change and grabbed me by the waist to pull me closer," what's wrong? You've been lookin real sad."

"Rodrick threatened to kick me out because I was texting you. "

"He just tripping. He might threaten you, but he ain't gon' do nothin," I could hear the anger in Trey voice.

I thought of the incident that happened two days ago and I began to tear up. I replied in a low voice hoping he couldn't hear me, "he dragged me off my bed by my hair, Trey."

He stood up and looked distraught," he what?! Why didn't you tell me?!"

"I don't want no one getting hurt. My mom cussed him out for it."

"That niggah need more than words. I'll handle it. He got no right to be pulling you by yo hair. It's cool, I'll fix it," his expressions became devilish and uncomfortable.

I stood and made him look at me," I understand you care for me, but I can't have you hurt or in jail. I'll handle it, okay?" He nodded in response and gave me small hug. It lasted for half a second, but in that second I felt so secure. He felt so warm and safe that I wanted to hold on to him but I don't want to start feelings for someone that's older and that's only a friend.

"I just want you to be safe, Nell. When you're hurt it feels like I'm not doing my job."

"I know but..." I got cut off by a deep voice that made me jump away from Trey.

"Lanelle, what are doing?!" I looked back to see my mom and Roddrick parked in front of me and Trey. I looked at Trey who had his jaw and fists clenched.

"Bye Trey," I grabbed my stuff and started to walk off.

"Nell come here will quick," Trey said with his eyes still on Roddrick. I took a deep breath walked back to him. I felt like walking back would get me killed.

"Listen to me," he grabbed my hand, making my heart drop to the floor," text me when you get home and tell me if that nigga does something. "

I nodded and walked off but Trey was still holding my hand. I could here Roddrick calling my name. I looked at Trey," you're going to get me in trouble."

"Can I get a smile?" he said with puppy eyes.

"If you let me go," I could feel darts being stared into my back, but it matter. I didn't want Trey to let go of my hand. I knew he would protect me from anything, but I wanted to protect him too.

"I'll let you go if you smile," he smirked.

"Man, quit playing. I gotta go," I said with a big grin. He chuckled and let me go.

"Bye Nell."

"Later," the closer I got to the car, I could hear Roddrick yelling at me, but I was too busy missing...Trey. The warmth from his hug and hand was gone and it made me feel alone. I felt like crying a little. Being around him really made me feel safe.

I don't know what I'll do without him. He's the only one that's been checking on me everyday, making sure I had whatever I needed, and kept a smile on my face. He keeps me alive. He's my protector.