The Ocean

I look to my left and see the ocean. The ocean with the bright sun hanging just above the horizon as another day ends and another night begins. I see birds flying high in the sky as boats drift across the ocean carrying things such as people, ideas, and cargo. To my right I see a city. The city is bright and the street lamps are just starting to turn on as the people begin to come out into the night to have fun. I see a couple. They are fighting. They shouldn't be. They shouldn't be arguing about something frivolous while the most important thing in that moment is that they are together and that they can witness the sunset together in the nice warmth of each others arms. When I look at the man, I think of you. I think of the way you used to hold me and tell me that I was even more beautiful than the sunset above the ocean and that my eyes sparkled brighter than the ocean under the yellow hue of the sky. When I look at the woman I think of her. The woman that you would tell the same thing to. When I look at them I think of an hour ago. When I through my ring at the ground beneath your feet and rushed out the front door to go who knows where. Now here I stand. On the sand at the crossroads between the ocean and the city. At the crossroads before life and death. I think for a moment. If all that life is worth is that silly ring that you put on my finger, it isn't worth exploring any more. I choose the ocean. I choose death. I choose the life I can live, without you constantly shouting in my mind. Without you begging for me to stay. Without her. Without her standing off to the side looking at him with the same look I had because it was obvious you lied to her too. I choose a life without you. An ocean without the sun. A city without people. I choose the water.