Under decision

I was sick of it.

I was fed up of all those years of struggling and neglectment.

I was always known as the weird, poor, unloved, orphan girl. I at least had my brother Esteban and Fernando who was like another brother but it wasn't the same as a whole family.

I stuffed my few dirty and old raggedy dresses in my empty potato sack. I then gathered up all of my belongings and all the food my brothers had left for me.

They had recently gotten a new job on a ship as part of the rigger crew working with ropes and sails.

They left me all alone in our little shack of a house,sending a card to our church reverend to watch over me and make sure I did not starve or lack in any necessary things.

They were even considering taking me to a convention to be a nun so that I would be somewhere safe, religious, and not have to worry about things such as clothing, food, or boys. Typical older brothers.

I refused, telling them I'd just test my luck and hope to find a good man to marry who I could have children for and who would care for me.They believed it.

I on the other hand knew that was a complete lie, since I could never land a good man being the poor girl who can "think and speak too well for her own good." As one of the nuns at church put it at Sunday school. I truly disliked her.

I wasn't lying when I said I was going to test my luck though. I taught myself how to read (and write a bit.)

So today I made a decision for myself and packed up all my belongings and am going as a stowaway on the ship my brothers Esteban and Fernando are going to be working on until further notice. It seems like hard work but God knows we need the money. Is it dangerous?

I put on the men's clothes I took from the donations of used clothes people give to the church for those in need, you can't really say I stole it since I am in need. I banded my chest and tucked my long brown hair bun into a worker cap. I was going to crop my hair but decided against it. It was the only reminder I had to not lose who I truly am, instead I just cut it up to my shoulder .I might regret that but what the heck.

I made my way to the part of the coast where Esteban had been told the ship would be. I found it a bit weird how the ship was embarking in a section of the coast where not really anyone is rather than the harbor where all the other ships are.

My breath caught as I saw Fernando and Esteban organizing the barrels of food. I snuck over making it look like I was a man that belonged here.

After the ship was all packed up, they cut the thick rope and the ship was loose.

I looked out to the east seeing the sun barely beginning to rise as the sky was orange mixed with light pink clouds. it was a breath taking sight.

I then turned back to city and was glad I might never have to see it,but still missed it all the same since it was all I'd ever known.

What did I get myself into?

---------------------------------------------

Hey! I hope you like this story, what do you think so far?

Luv ya!

- jorgey

This is a story I came up with, any similarities to another is pure coincidence. Copyright and publishment of this story belongs to @Jorgey.

Thanks!