Chapter twelve

I awoke the next morning to a pile of dirty dishes to wash. After breakfast duty, I was sent to clean the deck.

I then sweeper the deck with a straw broom and the supposed mop seemed to just be a bunch of rags tied into a wooden stick. It reeked suspiciously of vomit. the last time anyone had been seasick was at least like two weeks ago so who knows how long it has been since this has been washed.

I took the rags off an scrubbed then clean the retied them back on. I then filled the wooden bucket with soap and water and began mopping the dirty floor boards.

When I had been like 1/3 done( its a huge deck) a guy passed by and told me that I had to hand scrub the deck first THEN mop.

So there I was with a hand sized wooden a bristle brush scrubbing the floor boards on my hands and knees feeling like a twist of the Cinderella story except this one had no pretty girl, prince, glass slipper, or a fairy godmother. Not even a pumpkin for Pete's sake!

After a while of washing, I felt the strange sensation of being watched. I turned around to find Fernando looking at me. Having caught his eye, he peacefully walked to me as I squinted to look up since the sun was in my eyes.

"How are you?" he asked as I looked up again, still in my hands and knees.

"Exhausted." I blurted bluntly. One of the many things proper people hated about me.

"Here, let me help." he offered and gently took the brush from my hand then began to vigorously scrub the deck. I then began to continue mopping and felt bad and guilty when some other guys that Fernando worked with found him comical doing 'sissy work.' I would have told him that he was just being a gentlemen by helping a damsel in distress but I couldn't. I apologized to him but he said that it was alright and that he chose to help, I did not force him.

After that I bid Fernando farewell, happy that the task was completed 2times faster. I then went back to the kitchen and helped prepare and cook radish, onion, potato, and carrot stew with a bone for flavor. It turned out quiet good actually.

After the dishes and cleaning up after dinner, I finally made my way to my lesson with Antonio.

Was it going to be too awkward now that he knew I was a girl? would I make him uncomfortable? Has lost trust in me by knowing I had kept my identity hidden? What kind if questions will he ask? Why can't I stop thinking about him and looking foward to our meets? I made my way to the captain quarters hallway and found the door to Antonio's study/bedroom.

I knocked on the door.