Chapter 9

KYLE ROSE

I looked at my watch. It was 5:44! My dad was going to be home soon!
"Oh crap!" I said, panicked.
"What?" Alyssa asked me.
"I forget to tell my dad that I was here and he's gonna be home soon!" I replied.
"Oh," Alyssa said. I could tell that she didn't know why that was a big deal. "Well, I guess everyone needs to go home. Bye Maia. Bye Chloe." Alyssa finished.
"Bye," the girls said. They left the room and Alyssa and I listened as they descended the stairs. I started to get up but Alyssa said,
"Stop. We need to talk. You and I look like twins."
"But how could that be possible? I lived in Durham up until 5th grade."
"When did you move to Durham?"
"I think I was born there!"
"Wait, let's think about this logically," I said, "I don't know my mom and it's not like we have the same dad since you know your dad. So there is no way that we can be twins unless your dad isn't your blood father!"
"I've never met my dad," Alyssa said quietly.
"Oh gosh, I'm sorry-- I assumed..."
"It's ok. Not a big deal. Well, I guess we could be twins," Alyssa commented dubiously. "Here, call your dad and tell him that you are eating dinner here."
"Will that be okay with your mom?" I asked.
"Yeah, she doesn't really care about anything me related."
I started to say something but stopped. Alyssa didn't seem like she wanted sorry's and oh gosh's. I called my dad. He seemed surprised but said it was fine. I told him that it was only a few blocks and that I would walk home with my friend. Alyssa and I walked downstairs.
"Hey Mom! One of my friends is staying for dinner, okay?"
"Sure! Bring her in here," Ms. Krithner called back. We walked into the kitchen.
"Hi! I'm Kyle Rose. I go to school wi--" I started to introduce myself when Alyssa's mom's face paled and she interrupted me.
"I'm sorry, I, uh, need you to leave. I'll drive you home. Alyssa, take her to the car. I'll be there in a second." Alyssa looked shocked and started to yell at her mom angrily. I stood there, embarrassed, until Alyssa gave in and took me to her mom's car.
. . .

ALYSSA KRITHNER

"Oh crap!" I heard Kyle say suddenly.
"What?" I asked.
"I forget to tell my dad that I was here and he's gonna be home soon!" Kyle said frantically.
"Oh," I said. I personally didn't see what the big deal was but I said,
"Well, I guess everyone needs to go home. Bye Maia. Bye Chloe."
"Bye," the girls replied, their boots clacking on the hardwood floors as they walked down the stairs. Kyle stood up to leave as well but I grabbed her sleeve and said,
"Stop. We need to talk. You and I look like twins."
"But how could that be possible? I lived in Durham up until 5th grade." Kyle exclaimed.
"When did you move to Durham?" I asked.
"I think I was born there!" The conversation went on like this for a few minutes until the topic of parents came up.
"Wait, let's think about this logically," Kyle said, "I don't know my mom and it's not like we have the same dad since you know your dad. So there is no way that we can be twins unless your dad isn't your blood father!"
"I've never met my dad," I said quietly, a rush of emotions streaming through me.
"Oh gosh, I'm sorry-- I assumed..." Kyle said apologetically, her face shocked and showing that she was sorry.
"It's ok. Not a big deal." I said, trying to forget about it. I continued,
"Well, I guess we could be twins." I handed Kyle my phone, "Here, call your dad and tell him that you are eating dinner here."
"Will that be okay with your mom?" Kyle asked, doubtfully.
"Yeah, she doesn't really care about anything me related." I said, sadly, speaking what I felt was the truth.
I watched as Kyle called her dad.
"Hey Dad! I'm eating dinner with a friend. Is that okay? ... Yeah, it's only a few blocks. I'll walk home after dinner with my friend... Love you too! Bye!"
I smiled at Kyle and we headed downstairs.
"Hey Mother! One of my friends is staying for dinner, okay?" I called.
"Sure! Bring her in here," my mom called back. We walked into the kitchen.
"Hi! I'm Kyle Rose. I go to school wi--" Kyle started to introduce herself when Mother's face paled and she interrupted Kyle rudely.
"I'm sorry, I, uh, need you to leave. I'll drive you home. Alyssa, take her to the car. I'll be there in a second." Mother said. I looked at her, appalled.
"What!" I thought angrily. "Mother!" I protested, glaring daggers at her.
"Alyssa Elizabeth! Go. To. The. Car. Now." My mom growled.
I shot her a nasty look but I took Kyle to the car, anyways.