Chapter 3

KYLE ROSE

I had just sat down at my desk in English when Alyssa and her clique strutted into the classroom.  Alyssa was one of the jerky yet popular girls in the grade who didn't know I existed, along with her sidekicks, Maia and Chloe. They all had on designer blue jean jackets that must have cost at least 5 times more than my outfit: a t-shirt and blue jeans as well as the cheap Target brand of Uggs. The jacket wasn't the only thing the trio had in common. They all had their hair loose and curled as well as wearing the same mean snarky smile. Clothes wise,  Alyssa had on a pink miniskirt the same color as her nails and a low cut white tank top. She paired it with very tall chestnut boots and diamond earrings that I'm sure were real. Maia had on a tight pair of white skinny jeans with short gray boots and a gray top. Not surprisingly, both the gray boots and top were the same color as her newly done gel nail polish. Chloe had on short shorts and a crop top even though it was November in Raleigh, NC. As the trio walked to their seats to gossip and do whatever jerks do, Alyssa's eyes met mine and I was astonished to see that they were the exact same as mine: hazel at the center around the pupil, then changing to brown until the edges were almost black.

. . .

ALYSSA KRITHNER

I stepped out of the car in my Prada jacket and miniskirt.
"Park the car, Fiona!" I snapped. My nail polish had chipped earlier and my mascara was almost gone. I tried to tell Mother to have her import some more from London but she was having a 'very important conversation' with some superstar. So now I'm in a bad mood. Figures!
As I'm walking into school with Chloe and Maia behind me, some cute guy comes up to me and asks if I'm free Friday night.
"I am, but how about a no. Why would I want to go out with you?" That and I better be available when Mark asks me.
"Seriously!" Maia adds.
"You can go now," Chloe says, narrowing her eyes.
"Sorry!" I sang sarcastically. I was so not sorry. I strutted the rest of the way to my locker, glaring daggers at anyone who tried to come within 5 feet of me with the exception of my besties. I grabbed my English book and journal and met up with Maia and Chloe in the hall. We walked into homeroom together, our heads held high and haughty. As we made our way to our desks, I caught a girl I had never seen before looking at me. Her caramel brown hair fell flatly around her face and as I turned to glare at her, our eyes met. She had the same eyes as me! They were gorgeous, well, on me at least: hazel at the center around the pupil, then changing to brown until the edges were almost black.