eight

My eyelids slowly opened to see Harry lightly humming along to the song on the radio while driving. He glanced over at me, seeing that I had woken up. "Nice nap?"

I stretched out my neck, realizing that I had slept in an uncomfortable position for a long time. "Kinda... When are we going to eat?" It was a little past 9 AM, we had driven for a couple of hours.

"Yeah, if I'm not wrong there should be a diner somewhere," he said.

"Great, can I ask where we are going?"

He smirked. "It's a surprise."

"Harry, please!" I begged, he knew that I hated situations where I had no clue about everything.

"Okay," he smiled cheekily. I had slept for the last miles and I hadn't even payed attention to the road signs so I had idea where we were. "We are spending the first night in Washington D.C, you know just being typical tourists and stuff. I promised my friend that I would take a picture of the White House, you know Obama's home. And then we'll head south for as long as we can before getting home."

"Well..." I started off. "That's a plan," I said. I felt happy that we were driving towards warmer states.

After driving for half an hour, we finally found a diner and stopped there to eat breakfast. The diner was an 80s theme, which reminded me a lot of those you see in the movies. We picked a menu each and tried to decide what to eat. Both of us ended up with toast, egg and bacon. While we were eating, Harry told me about what he was planning to do on this trip. Somehow, the while situation felt surreal to me. If somebody had told me a few months ago that I would be on a spontaneous road-trip with Harry, I would have laughed in their face.

**

After a long day in Washington D.C., we drove around looking for a cheap motel outside of the city. Harry parked the car outside of an old building, that had a huge sign on the roof, which said "Dirk's Motel".

From the look of my face, one could tell that I wasn't too pleased with this motel. It had a dark vibe to it and it somehow looked haunted.

Harry looked over at me. "C'mon Taylor. It's only for one night and we'll be out of here in the morning anyway," he said, grabbing my hand, trying to relax me.

"It looks like this is the place where murders with chain saws hang around," I said, shivering at the thought. To be honest, I had seen one too many horror movies lately.

Harry laughed at my ridiculous answer. "Let's get our stuff and I'll check in for us."

We went out of the car and I handed Harry his bag before he disappeared into the building. I grabbed the rest of my stuff, locked the car and followed where Harry went.

"I'm sorry, we only have single beds rooms left," a tired old red-headed lady behind the counter said.

Harry sighed. "Fine, we'll take it," he said and handed her his card.

Without an emotion, the lady took his card, swiped it and clicked on some stuff on the computer. "You are staying in room 134 on the first floor," she said with a monotone voice, putting the keys on the counter.

"Thanks," he munbled, taking the keys. He grabbed his bag, putting his free hand around my waist following me to our room.

The room wasn't too much to brag about. There was two small beds separated by a huge nightstand, a desk with a little box TV on it, a little closet in the corner and a bathroom that I wasn't planning on showering in.

"Well, maybe we can move the beds into each other," Harry said, walking over to the bed and tried to push it. "What the hell, it's bolted down," he sighed.