Part 17

"Here's the game plan. As we all know, the Autumnal Ball is coming up soon, and I've got good news for you. It's a Sadie Hawkins dance," Chiara explained. My heart sank... there was no way I could ask Grayson without being humiliated. "He'll think that it's just a crude joke," I wailed. This was going to fail.

Chiara chuckled and flipped a page. "This is where our combined brainpower comes in. I'm a member of the Student Council and have filed in a thirty-second spot for you to talk and ask him out. It would show him that you really cared." "What if he rejects me?" "Well, it's all or nothing. You have to take risks and this is the best chance you have," Savannah sighed. I suppose that was true. "You're right." On the assembly on Monday, eight hundred students gathered in the auditorium as Chiara spoke about some eco-friendly project they had in mind. "-believe that this will improve the quality of this school. Now give a hand to Leigh Banks!" The room filled with unenthusiastic applause and a few boos. I could feel my knees shaking and my hands shivering. This could and will possibly end terribly for me. I walked on stage, already regretting this. Chiara patted my back with a hopeful look.

I cleared my throat as the high schoolers came to a silence and spoke up. "Hi, I'm Leigh Banks and I-uh..." I was interrupted by a stream of laughter. They were laughing at me and I was about to cry. Focus, Caley. I thought about all the people who have supported me - Chiara, Savvy, Michelle - and found my voice. "Hi, I'm Leigh and I have something to say to Grayson Powell. Since I met you, I was automatically drawn in to you, not only because of your kindness, but your humour and charisma. You and I share so much in common and I know you don't trust me much, but this is to show that I'm not as bad as you think. I won't repeat my mistakes and I want a second chance to redeem myself. Grayson, I really like you... will you go to the ball with me?" The crowd gasped and a single person stood amongst them. Grayson was looking at me with shining eyes and an ear-to-ear smile, and without hesitation, went up to the stage and hugged me. Everyone started cheering, b

ut loudest of all was Chiara, who was practically screaming backstage.

Grayson easily picked me up and kissed me straight on the lips. "Of course I will." "You will?" "I will. In fact, I have several words to say," he announced to the mic as he put me down. My face was blushing and elated. "Leigh Banks is one of the strongest and kindest people I know and there's this amazing thing about her and it's her perseverance and her resilience no matter how much people kick her down. No matter what, Leigh, I will always protect you." I jumped into his arms and kissed him again, overwhelmed with feelings, as the audience erupted once again. At last, Chiara came out and told the audience regretfully that my thirty seconds - correction, five minutes - was up. What a cheeky person... but for once, I was glad about tat.